Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What do the symbols next to form posts mean?

1. Jun 24, 2012 #1
    On the left side of a post title their is always a green envelope that can look slightly different as well as an occasional small symbol to the left of a post. Any way to figure out what they all mean?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 24, 2012 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

4. Jun 24, 2012 #3
    Awesome. Now just to find out about those small symbols to the left

5. Jun 25, 2012 #4

Evo

Do you mean the graph symbol for a poll?

6. Jun 25, 2012 #5
    No, they're underneath ratings. I think I've also seen one or 2 directly next to the last few titles but I can't be sure

7. Jun 25, 2012 #6

Evo

The paper clip means at least one post has an attachment, the push pin means the thread is stickied, the weird object is a trashcan and means at least one post has been deleted.

8. Jun 25, 2012 #7

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think he's talking about the envelopes. Some are open with a letter sticking out, some have a little guy trapped in the envelope, some are bright, some are dull, and some are letter bombs.

Actually, I know the little guy trapped in the envelope and the bomb, but I would be hard pressed to know the difference between the bright envelope and the dull envelope. (Oh, now I guess I do.:blushing:)

9. Jun 25, 2012 #8

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So I searched for a trashcan wondering if clicking on it did anything. Is this it? https://www.physicsforums.com/Nexus/misc/tag.png [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  10. Jun 25, 2012 #9

Evo

No, That means that the thread has been tagged.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  11. Jun 25, 2012 #10

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Maybe the trashcan is only visible to mentors? I haven't been able to find one. Not even in the Philosophy forum. :uhh:

12. Jun 25, 2012 #11

Evo

Then members can't see the trashcan. :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook