What do the tension, pressure and bending values mean for S235 steel?

  • Thread starter Thread starter TSN79
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Bending Steel
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 10K views
TSN79
Messages
422
Reaction score
0
In a table of different steel qualities the information about a perticular type of steel can be as follows:

Steel type:
S235

Tension/Pressure:
[tex]0\pm60[/tex]
[tex]130\pm130[/tex]

Bending:
[tex]0\pm190[/tex]
[tex]150\pm150[/tex]

My question is, what do these values tell me? The values are in [tex]N/mm^2[/tex]
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
While I'm not sure I understand what the numbers themselves represent, the approximate value of the quantities seems to be comparable to typical values for steel in MPa, which is the same as N/mm^2.

So, my guess is YES.
 
What is the format of the table form where these numbers originate?

S235 is a conventional low carbon structural steel (European Standard EN 10025)

Grades are:
S235
S235JR
S235J0
S235J2G3
S235J2G4

Yield strength should be about 235 MPa, UTS about 340-470 MPa.

The maximum numbers may be maximum design stresses, but it is hard to tell. The numbers are given as ranges.
 
I'd guess similarly to design stresses or then something more exotic, like allowable stress amplitudes in fatigue.
 
PerennialII said:
I'd guess similarly to design stresses or then something more exotic, like allowable stress amplitudes in fatigue.

Yeah, the 'plus or minus' seems to suggest fatigue related parameters.