What do we mean when we say a particle is 'observed'?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of observation in quantum physics and its relation to the double slit experiment. The speaker explains that observation means making a measurement on an object to determine its state and that before observation, the object is in a superposition of states. They also mention the difficulty in understanding the results of the double slit experiment and suggest using the path integral formulation to better comprehend it.
chestycougth
I haven't studied quantum physics academically and I have no understanding of it mathematically so forgive me if my questions are strange, nonsensical or erroneous.

For instance in the double slit experiment when we attempt to observe the object going through a slit then the diffraction disappears.

EDIT: And when observed does it assume a pure particle state / when unobserved does it automatically assume its dual wave-particle state. Or two borrow a term, a "wavicle"?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I take observed to mean we made a measurement on it to determine something about its state. Like when a photon hits a polarizer: if it goes through we have observed that it is in a polarization state aligned with the polarizer. If it doesn't pass through it was polarized at a 90 degree angle. But before it hit the polarizer, it was in no definite state. For example it could have been prepared in a state polarized at some angle relative to the polarizer, which would put it in a superposition of states that will (0 degree) or will not (90 degree) pass through.

Let me know if you don't get the above, I can break it down more if you're interested.

Observation always doesn't imply that the observed is a particle. You can "observe" phenomena behaving as a wave.

IDK why the double slit experiment is so popular. I think it's results are difficult for laymen to understand properly. It only made perfect sense to me after I heard about Feynman's intuition using the path integral formulation.

Edit: Also, a lot of people get really philosophical and mystical when addressing the question "what does is mean to observe" and maybe this was the kind of answer you wanted. In my experience, the discussion that arises form playing around with and debating the interpretation of words like "observation" and "measurement" hasn't really helped my understanding of quantum physics. Rather, I think QM is best understood by analyzing the results of experiment. Especially when you have never studied the subject at all.

Last edited:

1. What is the definition of "observed" in particle physics?

In particle physics, the term "observed" refers to the detection or measurement of a particle's properties, such as its position, momentum, or energy. This can be done through various experimental techniques, such as colliding particles or using detectors.

2. How does observing a particle affect its behavior?

In quantum mechanics, the act of observation can cause a particle to behave differently than it would without being observed. This is known as the observer effect and is a fundamental principle in understanding the behavior of particles at the subatomic level.

3. Can particles be observed without interacting with them?

No, in order to observe a particle, some form of interaction must occur. This is because particles are incredibly small and have very little impact on their surroundings, making them difficult to detect without some type of interaction.

4. Is there a limit to how accurately a particle can be observed?

According to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, there is a limit to how accurately certain pairs of properties, such as position and momentum, can be simultaneously observed. This is due to the inherent uncertainty and randomness at the subatomic level.

5. Why is observing particles important in understanding the universe?

Particles are the building blocks of the universe, and by observing them, we can gain a better understanding of the fundamental laws and principles that govern our world. Additionally, observing particles can also lead to advancements in technology and medicine, as well as help us answer some of the deepest questions about the universe and its origins.