1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What do you do during the winter? Research? Internship?

1. Aug 4, 2007 #1
    Hi all, I'm currently entering my jr. year in college, as a BSEE. I'm currently doing an internship right now, but I'm planning for my winter. What do you all do? I have about 1 month and a week off from school. Dec 15 - Jan 24 or so.

I'd hate to sit idle for a month, I'd rather do something productive as far as career growth - any tips?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 4, 2007 #2

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I am a physics major, not EE, but I'll try to offer some help.

You can always help out a professor with some research project. Or you can take an inter-semester course if your school offers them. An internship maybe a little bit harder to obtain since you are only free to work for a month or so (unless you could work it out so you could work part-time during the semester). I would say research would probably be the easiest to do, since you could continue it during the semester if you wished, and it wouldn't cost you money. The good thing about internships though is that you would probably get paid, which may not be true for research, and you'd make some connections in industry, which I hear is good from my EE friends. So, if your looking to get into industry, finding an internship may be better than research, which would be better if you wanted to go to grad-school.

I hope this helps you in your decisions.

4. Aug 5, 2007 #3
    Yeah, that's what I've been thinking. I'm not too sure where I should go. I applied to one company, so we'll see what happens. I'll try to find some more otherwise, I'll probably take a winter course.

5. Aug 5, 2007 #4

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

A winter course can never hurt(as long as you don't bomb it:smile:). At very least, it'll help to lower your workload in future semesters.

6. Aug 13, 2007 #5
    Anyone know any companies that take students for 1 month or so, from Dec15 to Jan 21st ish? I know this is rare, but might as well throw it out there.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?