What do you do during the holidays?

• Thread starter ManiFresh
  • Start date
What do you guy's do to keep your mind fresh when you have a really long break from college? read ahead, review...?

Answers and Replies

I buy the books I'll be using in my classes during the next semester, and I work through them. Otherwise, I self-study from books I already have.

mege
Read psudo-technical books (I just bought Flatland and Div,Grad,Curl).

I take a well deserved break from studying and go on holiday, spend time with friends, family and girlfriend, work out and read books about other stuff than physics or maths.

The only thing I do is looking ahead which courses I will take next year and that always takes me about a week to go through them and choose.

In the past it depended a lot on what I can afford - either a trip somewhere, go home to visit family, or a book in some subject I've been curious about but don't have time to fit into my class schedule next year at the time, in order of decreasing preference, lol. Although as of last weekend me and my gf are now long distance, so that makes the question pretty easy, lol

I go to my country house and spend time there, beautiful grounds, it gives me peace of mind.

If I feel my mind is back to normality, then I buy the texts used for the next semester courses. An interesting thing to do will be to read "practical things" about the courses that you have planned to take next semester. For example, if you have planned to take a course on Algorithms then you can look at the other side of it, the practical side of algorithms, where and how it is used.....the non-academic side, it gives me a lot of intuition on the subject.

Working on campus, relaxing and studying. I don't study for the next semester but review some stuff I forgot, or learn a proof I put off during the semester, read some journals and
on an area I am interested. Where ever I fill there was a hole in my foundation, I put all the effort during the summer to relearn and understand it.

Working on campus, relaxing and studying. I don't study for the next semester but review some stuff I forgot, or learn a proof I put off during the semester, read some journals and
on an area I am interested. Where ever I fill there was a hole in my foundation, I put all the effort during the summer to relearn and understand it.

Ditto.

Also, Div Grad Curl is a psuedo technical book?

mege
Ditto.

Also, Div Grad Curl is a psuedo technical book?

My point was that it is not a text book, perhaps that wasn't the best choice of words ;)

Go bargain on Amazon for next year's books lol