What do you do in your free time?

• Thread starter amberlewis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary, the conversation revolves around the hobbies and activities that the participants enjoy in their free time. These include playing online games, cooking, surfing the internet, interacting with pets, playing musical instruments, and discussing various topics such as music and science. The conversation also touches upon the idea of taking advantage of free time and indulging in activities that bring joy and fulfillment.
amberlewis
Mostly i play online games in my free time.And cook food in my free time.
What do you do?? give me your reviews or your some good respond.

Physics news on Phys.org
i work in my free time :smile:

the rest of the time, i have to surf the net, cook, watch telly, … :tongue2:​

I hang around here (and a couple of other places) and interact with my dog.

We have a little routine that he loves. I tell him "I'm going to get you!" and we start going through the routine. He comes to me, tail wagging, and I say "Gotta spank the butt" while spanking his butt, and I say "Gotta yank the tail" while giving his tail a little yank. Then we move on up to his head and I say "Gotta grab those ears" and "Gotta beep that nose" which makes him "snuff", and by that time he's collapsing on the floor, so I can follow up with "Gotta slap him on the chest", "Gotta scratch the belly", and "Gotta grab his legs". When I grab his front legs, he'll squirm around and bite one of his back legs while growling at himself. He's a character.

I might be a character, too. When my wife first saw me going through that "I'm going to get you" routine with Duke, she said "What are you doing?!". Then she realized that he loved it and had fun with it. When I say "I'm going to get you" he comes right over, expecting a play-date.

Guitar, Piano, Mandolin, Internet, Music, Etc

chiro said:
Guitar is a big one. As a side-interest, I restore old tube-amps, too. I used to restore Fender amps for a collector, but he was too much of a complainer. He'd start changing things around after I had tuned an amp to perfection (speakers, tubes, etc) and then try blaming me when the amp's performance had degraded. One time, he brought back a '65 Princeton Reverb complaining about bad sound, and I checked the tubes. He had re-tubed the amp with eastern European tubes with undersized pins, and a couple of the tubes practically fell out in my hand when I removed the tube-covers. I replaced those with a couple of vintage RCA tubes from my own stash and told him never to come back. Life is too short for that kind of drama.

turbo said:
Guitar is a big one. As a side-interest, I restore old tube-amps, too. I used to restore Fender amps for a collector, but he was too much of a complainer. He'd start changing things around after I had tuned an amp to perfection (speakers, tubes, etc) and then try blaming me when the amp's performance had degraded. One time, he brought back a '65 Princeton Reverb complaining about bad sound, and I checked the tubes. He had re-tubed the amp with eastern European tubes with undersized pins, and a couple of the tubes practically fell out in my hand when I removed the tube-covers. I replaced those with a couple of vintage RCA tubes from my own stash and told him never to come back. Life is too short for that kind of drama.

Damn that sucks. Can't believe he has the balls to blame you when you're doing him a favor: Jeez.

I got an FX board for my last birthday and I also got a small keyboard. What surprised me was that both had a USB out and upon investigating, found out it basically turns these into midi devices which means I can record a high frequency midi input and also play the output as well which was pretty cool.

When I started learning, the midi stuff was really really expensive and even back when I was in last year of high school (2001), it was ridiculous how much you spent on software and the like.

I think nowadays it really doesn't take much for people to record professional quality music and I imagine the music companies are getting worried :)

But yeah I agree life is too short for those kind of people, and one of the things about these forums is that people are usually thankful for your help and willing to offer their own help in the forms of teaching, thoughts, advice and the like which is a good change from what else is out there.

I bought an amp from a friend of mine (and fellow player) who owns a music store, (4x10 Super Reverb) and tweaked it into peak tone. When I was unable to keep playing out due to problems with fragrance chemicals, I took that amp back to him and traded it for a concert guitar (Taylor) that was selling for $1000 more than the current value of the Fender.

chiro said:
This list reminds me of Tubular Bells - except for the Internet. :biggrin:

Time is free? That's a commie physics theory if I ever heard one.

Start a hot pepper business so I can retire in 4 to 5 years and not touch any other forms of income till 69.5. Social security, 401K, savings, medicare nothing, nada, zip. I will take whatever may be left by then, but would prefer to not to have to. I hate being dependent on others for my well being. I may be one of a minority, but I like it that way.

Rhody...

I surf the web, play games, and read up on what's going on in physics and science in general. I also have a friend I talk metal and science with if I can catch him on a day neither of us work.

amberlewis said:
Mostly i play online games in my free time.And cook food in my free time.
What do you do?? give me your reviews or your some good respond.
I'm retired, so all my time is free. My main hobbies are tennis, bicycling, eating, hanging out at the beach, playing the piano, eating, doing computer chess matches/tournaments, eating, drinking, selling books on Amazon, and doing arts and crafts shows with my girlfriend. And this.

Brewing fine ales and other fermented beverages, prolific reader, various miscellaneous projects, and a few RPGs.

turbo said:
I hang around here (and a couple of other places) and interact with my dog.

We have a little routine that he loves. I tell him "I'm going to get you!" and we start going through the routine. He comes to me, tail wagging, and I say "Gotta spank the butt" while spanking his butt, and I say "Gotta yank the tail" while giving his tail a little yank. Then we move on up to his head and I say "Gotta grab those ears" and "Gotta beep that nose" which makes him "snuff", and by that time he's collapsing on the floor, so I can follow up with "Gotta slap him on the chest", "Gotta scratch the belly", and "Gotta grab his legs". When I grab his front legs, he'll squirm around and bite one of his back legs while growling at himself. He's a character.

I might be a character, too. When my wife first saw me going through that "I'm going to get you" routine with Duke, she said "What are you doing?!". Then she realized that he loved it and had fun with it. When I say "I'm going to get you" he comes right over, expecting a play-date.

That sounds like fun. I'm coming over to your house right now and we are going to play that game.

leroyjenkens said:
That sounds like fun. I'm coming over to your house right now and we are going to play that game.
OK, just don't have any cologne on or any perfume in your clothes. Duke loves meeting new people.

k thanks to all for this wonderful replies.

chiro said:

Same here! Throw in gaming though.
I think ukelele would be easy to pickup from here

I like to write in my free time. Sometimes, I play games (the Wii is still awesome!), read a book or play the piano with one finger. :approve:

What do you do in your free time?

In my free time, I enjoy exploring new scientific concepts and theories, reading scientific journals and articles, and attending conferences and seminars to further my knowledge in my field of study.

Do you have any hobbies outside of your work as a scientist?

Yes, I do! In my spare time, I love to hike, practice photography, and play musical instruments. These hobbies help me relax and recharge my mind after long hours of research and experimentation.

How do you balance your work and personal life as a scientist?

It can be challenging to find a balance between work and personal life as a scientist, but I make sure to prioritize my time and set boundaries. I also make sure to take breaks and engage in activities that bring me joy and help me unwind.

Do you use your free time to conduct experiments or research?

While I am passionate about my work as a scientist, I also believe in the importance of taking breaks and disconnecting from my research. Therefore, I usually do not use my free time to conduct experiments or research unless it is something I am particularly interested in.

What do you think is the most important thing to do in your free time as a scientist?

In my opinion, the most important thing to do in my free time as a scientist is to continue learning and staying curious. This can involve reading books, attending workshops, or even watching documentaries related to my field of study. It helps me stay updated and motivated in my work.