What do you think of this problem ?

• Thread starter geoffrey159
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving comparing the areas of two triangles without using trigonometry. The solution involves using observation and creativity to divide the triangles into smaller regions of equal area. The participants question the purpose of this type of exercise, but also acknowledge the potential for fostering visualization skills and creativity in students.
geoffrey159

Homework Statement

On the picture, compare the area of triangle ABC to the area of A'B'C'.

This problem was shown to me by a 13 years old. Trigonometry forbidden. It seems to me that this is the kind of problem you either solve in 2 minutes, or never solve. In both cases, you don't learn anything. Is this designed to frustrate students or is there any content in this? Your opinion please.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• triangles.png
    triangles.png
    14.1 KB · Views: 478
Physics news on Phys.org
Let the area of triangle ABC be S = (1/2)ab*(sin C) = (1/2)bc*(sin A) = (1/2)ca*(sin B)
By Observation you can prove that
the area of triangle A'B'C' be S' = S + (2S) + (2S) +(2S) = 7S so required answer should be
Trigonometry is Forbidden so you replace sn factors by corresponding heights S'/S = 7
Join B'A, C'B and A'C, You immediately see that the triangle A'B'C' is divided into seven triangular regions of equal area. So that is almost a proof without words!

Yes, this is the way I've done it, and I see no content in this kind of exercise. As you say, it is almost without words!
Furthermore, a 13yo who doesn't know or forgot that the median line splits the area of a triangle in two is done without trigonometry. He will never find, unless someone sees a more elementary proof.

But even that does not require much proof as base is same and heights are same, that is also proof without words. Basic idea is: triangles of different shape can have same area in certain cases.

There may not be wordy content but visualization content is there especially when the students has been told or has understood when two non identical triangles can have same area. Also to foster creativity in imagining the construction which can lead to solution!

So is it an exercise or some kind of riddle for students who have time to loose ? And why ?

Buildimg creativity and intelligence in students require time, It is not like loading a software.

1. What is your professional opinion on the problem?

I believe that my professional opinion on the problem is valuable because of my expertise in the field. I have studied and conducted research related to this problem, so I am able to provide an informed perspective.

2. How do you approach problem-solving in your field of study?

In my field of study, problem-solving involves a combination of critical thinking, experimentation, and collaboration. I approach problems with an open mind and use various methods to gather and analyze data in order to find a solution.

3. What do you think are the root causes of the problem?

The root causes of a problem depend on the specific issue at hand, but in general, they can be traced back to various factors such as human behavior, environmental factors, or technological limitations. It is important to identify these root causes in order to effectively address the problem.

4. What are some potential solutions to the problem?

There are often multiple potential solutions to a problem, and it is important to consider all options before deciding on the best course of action. Some potential solutions may include implementing new technology, changing policies or regulations, or addressing underlying social or cultural issues.

5. How can we work together to solve this problem?

Collaboration is key in problem-solving, especially in the scientific community. By working together, we can bring together diverse perspectives and expertise to find innovative solutions. We can also share resources and support each other in implementing and evaluating potential solutions.