What do you think the best methods of Self-Teaching Phys/Maths are?

• Thread starter martinlematre
  • Start date
In summary, Person has had to play catch up on math and physics due to lack of time, and has done so by borrowing textbooks, watching youtube videos, and doing practice problems. Person recommends reading ahead in textbooks, doing lots of examples and puzzles, taking notes, and working out problems yourself.
martinlematre
I'm someone who's had to play a lot of catchup and thus have been exposed to a lot of new content in math and physics in a short, very short period of time (This includes completing my entire first/year phys course in 3.5 weeks).

I've experimented on so many different things from youtube teachers like Khanacademy, Lasseviren, PatrickJMT...I've borrowed textbooks and just sat and studied them...but it gets oh so horribly disorganized. On one hand, Textbooks contain a lot of non essential course information (Such as a giant section of EM being dedicated to molecular and dna biology in my physics textbook), and I am more or less looking to learn and internalize the core concepts fully. On the other hand, it's easy to watch a video because of how intuitive it is, but it's more or less showing very circumstantial conditions and teaching the bare minimums. Plus there aren't usually practice problems.

I'll be taking a lot of calc and phys this and next year and to do well I plan to read ahead and familiarize myself with the concepts in my spare time. I haven't decided the best course of action between my content source, how I am going to get quality practice problems, how I am going to take notes etc and would really appreciate if you guys should share some insight on the absolute best ways to /learn/ the content and not just memorize it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Find something you enjoy that requires the kinds of math/physics you want to learn.
Do lots of examples and puzzles.

You learn math/phys by doing math/phys.

For me anyway it is important to not waste days on problems I am stuck on. It is good to persevere for awhile. But at some point you are just wasting time. Now I write down problems I cannot do and take a look at them in a year or two. Often I can see what I needed to do.

Get a good textbook on a subject, two different ones if you can. Use one because you like it, and the other for backup when the primary is a little fuzzy. Try to read a textbook chapter every week. Take notes, work out examples yourself, prove the things "that can be shown," read the problems and do the ones you think are instructive (i.e. the ones you don't know exactly how to do).

You'll know more than anyone who actually took the class. Taught myself Quantum Mechanics and Calculus.

I understand the importance of self-teaching in subjects like physics and math. It requires discipline, dedication, and a strong understanding of core concepts. From my experience, here are some tips for self-teaching in these subjects:

1. Start with a clear goal: Before beginning your self-study, it's important to set a clear goal for what you want to achieve. Do you want to understand the core concepts, improve your problem-solving skills, or prepare for a specific exam? Having a goal in mind will help you stay focused and motivated throughout your self-study journey.

2. Use a variety of resources: As you mentioned, there are many resources available for self-learning, such as textbooks, online videos, and practice problems. I recommend using a combination of these resources to get a well-rounded understanding of the concepts. For example, you can watch a video to get an intuitive understanding of a concept and then use a textbook to delve deeper into the theory and solve practice problems.

3. Prioritize core concepts: It can be overwhelming to try to learn everything at once. Instead, focus on understanding the core concepts first and then move on to more advanced topics. This will help you build a strong foundation and make it easier to understand more complex concepts later on.

4. Practice, practice, practice: As they say, practice makes perfect. Solving practice problems is crucial for truly understanding the concepts and improving your problem-solving skills. Look for practice problems in textbooks, online resources, or create your own. It's important to challenge yourself with a variety of problems to truly test your understanding.

5. Take notes and review regularly: Taking notes while studying can help you organize your thoughts and reinforce your understanding of the material. It's also important to review your notes regularly to keep the concepts fresh in your mind.

6. Seek help when needed: Self-teaching can be challenging, and it's important to recognize when you need help. Don't be afraid to reach out to your teachers, classmates, or online communities for clarification on difficult concepts or for additional resources.

Remember, self-teaching takes time and effort, so be patient with yourself and don't get discouraged. With dedication and the right approach, you can successfully learn and internalize the core concepts in physics and math. Good luck!

What are the best resources for self-teaching Phys/Maths?

The best resources for self-teaching Phys/Maths include textbooks, online courses, video tutorials, practice problems, and study groups. These resources can be found through libraries, educational websites, and online forums.

How can I stay motivated while self-teaching Phys/Maths?

Staying motivated while self-teaching Phys/Maths can be challenging, but setting specific goals, creating a study schedule, and rewarding yourself for progress can help. It's also important to find a study method that works best for you and to take breaks when needed.

Are there any tips for self-teaching complex concepts in Phys/Maths?

A helpful tip for self-teaching complex concepts in Phys/Maths is to break them down into smaller, more manageable parts. It's also beneficial to use visual aids, such as diagrams or graphs, to better understand the concepts. Additionally, practicing problems and seeking help from experts or online communities can aid in understanding complex concepts.

What are common challenges when self-teaching Phys/Maths?

Common challenges when self-teaching Phys/Maths include difficulty staying motivated and disciplined, understanding complex concepts, and finding reliable resources. It's also important to recognize that self-teaching can be a more challenging and time-consuming process compared to traditional classroom learning.

Is self-teaching Phys/Maths a viable option for everyone?

Self-teaching Phys/Maths can be a viable option for those who are self-motivated, disciplined, and have a strong interest in the subject. However, it may not be the best option for everyone as it requires a significant amount of time and effort. It's important to assess your learning style and personal goals before deciding if self-teaching is the right option for you.