1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What does current density mean?

1. Apr 8, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Current density is the amount of current per cross sectional of flow. I'm having trouble wrapping my head around this definition. Surface charge or volume charge I understand better since they are almost analogous to the density we all understand (amount of matter/charge per unit area/volume/length). Current is something that's moving and its a little harder for my intuition to understand this. Could anyone please give any examples or anything to understand this concept better?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2016 #2
    while doing some reading, I have though of another question, I see a lot of discussion about currents having with time. That seems all well but is there also such thing as a current changing in position? I was thinking if the wire was not uniform like the radius changes.

4. Apr 9, 2016 #3

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The current is the whole charge flowing through a cross-section of a wire or any conductor in unit time. The current density is the current crossing perpendicularly a unit area in unit time. The current density is a vector, it has direction in addition to magnitude, and it can depend on place.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted