What does H represent in the graph of y = 2H(x - 4)?

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter jaja1990
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Mean
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 9K views
jaja1990
Messages
27
Reaction score
0
What does "H" mean?!

I have this question in my assignment paper:-

8. Sketch the graph of:
(a)
y = |2x − 2|;
(b)
y = 2H(x − 4)

(a) is obvious, but how do I sketch (b)? Does "H" stand for some specific constant?
 
Mathematics news on Phys.org


I think that H(0)=0 correponds to an old definition remaining from history and that the standard definition is with H(0)=1/2.
Generally this is of no consequence in particle applications.
 


JJacquelin said:
I think that H(0)=0 correponds to an old definition remaining from history and that the standard definition is with H(0)=1/2.
Generally this is of no consequence in particle applications.

If one wanted to use an approximation like a Fourier series version, then it makes sense to define H(0) as 1/2 based on properties of Fourier series when you have this kind of 'Gibbs' phenomenon.