Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I what does "... is zero to order ..." mean?

1. Aug 12, 2017 #1
    I saw the sentence " So the contour integral of an analytic function f(z) around a tiny square of size e is zero to order e^2. ". I want to know what " be zero to order " means exactly.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 12, 2017 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

It means that if you were to write the value of the integral as a power series function of e, a0+a1e+a2e2+a3e3+... then the a0, a1 and a2 coefficients would be zero.

4. Aug 20, 2017 at 6:24 PM #3

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think that a2 can be non-zero.

5. Aug 20, 2017 at 11:04 PM #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Perhaps, but I don't think so. Expressing a function to second order means taking the expansion terms up to and including the x2 term. If it is "zero to second order" that should mean the second order approximation is still zero.

6. Aug 21, 2017 at 2:15 AM #5

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I stand corrected. I think you are probably right. I was thinking of a second order zero, but the phrase "zero to second order" does sound more like your definition. I don't think I have ever heard that terminology formally defined or used.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted