What does * mean and how is it used

• Thread starter chrismariesan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mean
In summary, the * in hermitian operator equations represents complex conjugation, which changes the sign of the imaginary part of a function. This can result in the imaginary part becoming negative, positive, or remaining zero. If there is still confusion about its placement in an equation, providing an example can help clarify its usage.
chrismariesan
I'm studying hermitian operators and in the equations it keeps using a * after a function i.e. f(x)*
I don't understand what it means and how it's used and why they keep moving it all around the equation...I know it's probably pretty easy and I just missed it in lecture but it's driving me crazy.
pleeeese help!:cry:

Physics news on Phys.org
The * stands for complex conjugatation. So, if f(x) is the wavefunction, then f*(x) is the complex conjugate of the wavefunction.

If you're still unsure, then give an example of it "moves around an equation" and someone can clear it up for you.

Complex conjugate means the imaginary part of the function becomes negative, in case you didn't know that.

CaptainQuaser said:
Complex conjugate means the imaginary part of the function becomes negative, in case you didn't know that.

Just to remove any possible room for error: conjugation changes the sign of the imaginary part, so it could become positive as well (or, indeed, remain zero).

1. What does the * symbol mean?

The * symbol is called an asterisk and is used to represent multiplication in mathematical equations. It can also be used as a wildcard character in computer programming to match any character or set of characters.

2. How is the * symbol used in language?

In language, the * symbol is often used as a footnote marker to indicate additional information or as a replacement for a censored word. It can also be used in place of a missing letter in a word, such as "I can't bel*ve it!"

3. What is the meaning of * in statistics?

In statistics, the * symbol is used as a symbol for multiplication, similar to its use in mathematics. It can also indicate significance levels in statistical analysis, with different numbers of asterisks representing different levels of significance.

4. Can the * symbol have multiple meanings in different contexts?

Yes, the * symbol can have different meanings depending on the context in which it is used. In mathematics, it represents multiplication, while in language it can indicate a footnote or censored word. In computer programming, it is used as a wildcard character. It is important to consider the context when interpreting the meaning of the * symbol.

5. How does the * symbol differ from the × symbol?

The * symbol and the × symbol have similar uses in mathematics to represent multiplication. However, the × symbol is more commonly used in textbooks and formal equations, while the * symbol is often used in hand-written equations and on keyboards. Additionally, the × symbol can also represent the cross product in vector calculus, while the * symbol does not have this use.