What Does MUV Mean in Astronomy? Understanding GN-z11 and its Redshift

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Phys12
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Galaxy Research paper
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 3K views
Phys12
Messages
351
Reaction score
42
I was going through the following paper: https://arxiv.org/pdf/1605.08054.pdf

In the 2nd line, it says, "GN-z11, a MUV=-21.1 galaxy at z=11.1."

I know, what z=11.1 is. If I'm correct, it's the redshift of the galaxy which helps in measuring its velocity.

I'm not quite sure, though, of what MUV is or why the galaxy is named GN-z11. Any help will be highly appreciated. Thanks.
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
I think it's the absolute magnitude in UV for the galaxy, but I'm not certain.
 
Drakkith said:
I think it's the absolute magnitude in UV for the galaxy, but I'm not certain.
Absolute magnitude as in brightness?
 
Drakkith is right that MUV is the absolute magnitude in the UV,. As for the name, Wikipedia says,
"The object's name is derived from its location in the GOODS-North field of galaxies and its high Doppler z-scale redshift number (GN + z11)"