What does simultaneous reality and non-commuting operators mean?

In summary, if Quantum Mechanics (QM) is complete and there are no hidden variables, it is not possible for non-commuting operators to have simultaneous reality. This means that the answer to a measurement is based on the variable measured first, and independent measurements on entangled particles do not reflect each other's observations. The concept of simultaneous reality in this context refers to the simultaneous measurement of identical variables, which is not possible due to the non-commutativity of operators.
elbeasto
"if Quantum Mechanics (QM) is complete (and there are no "hidden variables"), then there cannot be simultaneous reality to non-commuting operators" - Taken from http://drchinese.com/David/Bell_Theorem_Negative_Probabilities.htm

I am trying to understand this sentence but I do not fully comprehend 'non-commuting operators'. Wikipedia uses an example of

"physical variables are represented by linear operators such as x (meaning multiply by x), and d/dx. These two operators do not commute as may be seen by considering the effect of their products x (d/dx) and (d/dx) x on a one-dimensional wave function ψ(x):"

is it the 'ψ(x)' that makes this non-commuting? Also, based on reading this, am I to assume that this means that the answer I arrive at is based on solely on the variable I measure first? I thought the idea was no matter what I measure, the other will reflect my observation. For example, I measure 'up' spin on variable A, therefore variable B must be 'down'. Regardless of the variable I measure first, the end result is the same: A is up and B is down.

Also, so I can try to nail down a clear definition, when EPR says 'simultaneous reality' are they referring to identical simultaneous instance of a variable?

Physics news on Phys.org
elbeasto said:
is it the 'ψ(x)' that makes this non-commuting?
No, the non-commutativity is a property of the operators themselves.

elbeasto said:
Also, based on reading this, am I to assume that this means that the answer I arrive at is based on solely on the variable I measure first? I thought the idea was no matter what I measure, the other will reflect my observation. For example, I measure 'up' spin on variable A, therefore variable B must be 'down'. Regardless of the variable I measure first, the end result is the same: A is up and B is down.
This is confusing measurements on the same particle with different (eventually non-commutating) operators and independent measurements on two entangled particles.

elbeasto said:
Also, so I can try to nail down a clear definition, when EPR says 'simultaneous reality' are they referring to identical simultaneous instance of a variable?
Consider spin along different directions. If one knows the spin along z, one knows nothing about the spin along x. So there is no simultaneous reality for spin along z and spin along x, they are not defined at the same time.

1. What is simultaneous reality in terms of quantum mechanics?

Simultaneous reality refers to the idea that particles at the quantum level can exist in multiple states or positions at the same time. This is known as superposition and is a fundamental principle of quantum mechanics.

2. How does simultaneous reality relate to non-commuting operators?

In quantum mechanics, operators are mathematical tools used to describe the properties of a system. Non-commuting operators means that the order of operations matters, and in quantum mechanics, this can lead to uncertainty in the measured values of certain properties, such as position and momentum.

3. Can simultaneous reality and non-commuting operators be observed in everyday life?

No, these concepts are specific to the quantum world and do not typically manifest at the macroscopic level. They are only observed and described in experiments involving particles at the atomic or subatomic level.

4. How do these concepts challenge our understanding of reality?

Simultaneous reality and non-commuting operators challenge our classical understanding of reality, which is based on cause and effect relationships. In the quantum world, particles can exist in multiple states at once and their properties cannot be precisely determined, leading to a probabilistic view of reality.

5. Are simultaneous reality and non-commuting operators accepted by the scientific community?

Yes, these concepts are well-established principles in quantum mechanics and have been supported by numerous experiments and observations. They are widely accepted by the scientific community and play a crucial role in our understanding of the quantum world.