What does Spivak's Calculus cover that Rudin or Pugh don't?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Thinker301
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Books
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
Thinker301
Messages
65
Reaction score
0
If I read and work through Rudin's PMA or Real Mathematical Analysis by Pugh, what in Spivak's Calculus am I missing? I have learned Calc 1-3 satisfactorily.

Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Thinker301. I have gone through all of Rudin's PMA in a class and read through a good chunk of Spivak on my own time. I would say that if you read all of Rudin and do most of the problems, you won't be missing anything from Spivak. If you are studying real analysis by yourself and have no previous background in proofs, I don't think any of the books you listed are that good for self-study. Good luck :)!

On the other hand, the book "Numbers and Functions: Steps to Analysis" is pretty much designed for self-study. It is basically a curated sequence of problems with solutions provided. It's out of print, but used copies are available for ~$3 here
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521457734/?tag=pfamazon01-20 .
 
Last edited by a moderator: