What Does the NYtimes Reveal About Dark Matter and Energy?

  • Thread starter Thrice
  • Start date
In summary, there is ongoing debate about the existence of dark energy and its role in the expansion of the universe. Some scientists suggest that this acceleration may be caused by the collapse of matter in small regions of space, rather than the presence of dark energy. However, further research is needed to fully understand this phenomenon.
Space news on Phys.org
  • #2
You won't mind if I use your thread for another related article, right? :)

Is dark energy an illusion?
The quickening pace of our universe's expansion may not be driven by a mysterious force called dark energy after all, but paradoxically, by the collapse of matter in small regions of space.
http://space.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn11498
 

1. What is dark matter and dark energy?

Dark matter and dark energy are terms used to describe two mysterious components of the universe that cannot be directly observed. They are thought to make up about 95% of the total mass-energy of the universe, while the remaining 5% is made up of ordinary matter and energy that can be observed.

2. How do we know that dark matter and dark energy exist?

Scientists have observed the effects of dark matter and dark energy through various astronomical observations and measurements. For example, the rotational speeds of galaxies and the bending of light around massive objects suggest the presence of dark matter, while the accelerated expansion of the universe is attributed to dark energy.

3. What is the difference between dark matter and dark energy?

Dark matter is believed to be a type of matter that does not interact with light or other forms of electromagnetic radiation, making it invisible to telescopes. It is thought to have a gravitational influence on visible matter, holding galaxies and galaxy clusters together. On the other hand, dark energy is a hypothetical energy that is thought to be responsible for the accelerated expansion of the universe.

4. How is the New York Times covering the topic of dark matter and dark energy?

The New York Times covers the topic of dark matter and dark energy through a variety of articles, ranging from breaking news about new discoveries to in-depth analyses and explanations of the latest research and theories. They also feature opinion pieces and interviews with experts in the field.

5. Why is dark matter and dark energy important to study?

Studying dark matter and dark energy is crucial for a deeper understanding of the universe and its origins. By understanding these mysterious components, scientists can also gain insights into the fundamental laws of physics and potentially develop new technologies. Furthermore, understanding dark matter and dark energy may also help us answer fundamental questions about the fate of the universe.

Similar threads

Replies
20
Views
2K
Replies
9
Views
2K
Replies
6
Views
1K
  • Cosmology
Replies
13
Views
3K
Replies
5
Views
1K
  • Cosmology
Replies
2
Views
1K
Replies
1
Views
903
  • Cosmology
Replies
8
Views
2K
Replies
1
Views
1K
Replies
18
Views
2K
Back
Top