What does the Solstice mean to you?

• Thread starter lisab
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mean
In summary, the summer solstice is an astronomical event that occurs twice a year and marks the longest day of the year due to the Earth's tilt towards or away from the Sun. In Seattle, it is celebrated by joining a naked, body-painted bicycle ride through the streets, often featuring the iconic Flying Spaghetti Monster. While some may participate, others may be too modest or cautious due to past experiences. The solstice also signifies the upcoming Oregon Country Fair and the changing of seasons. However, it is important to note the potential dangers of full body painting and the risk of overheating and exposure to toxic substances.
lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
To those of us who are science geeks, the summer soltice is the longest day of the year...

A solstice is an astronomical event that occurs twice each year, when the tilt of the Earth's axis is most inclined toward or away from the Sun, causing the Sun's apparent position in the sky to reach its northernmost or southernmost extreme.

(Shamelessly lifted from Wiki!)

But to certain Seattle residents, the Summer Solstice is a special day to join up with several hundred of your closest friends, strip nekkid, paint your body, and ride through the streets...usually on a bicycle!

2prvgbs.jpg

2w53rs8.jpg

The Danes were well-represented.

25euxqd.jpg

Happy Summer Solstice, everyone!

Physics news on Phys.org

I've never been more disgusted at the human form then I am now.

But wait, I didn't tell you the highlight of the day!

You won't believe what we saw...

30szyv4.jpg

Yes, that is THE Flying Spaghetti Monster!

At the sight of it, my daughter went into rapture...

2d1wtft.jpg

lisab said:
Yes, that is THE Flying Spaghetti Monster!

Blasphemy, that's not the real FSM! He's obviously being supported by a series of bars and people!

Pengwuino said:
Blasphemy, that's not the real FSM! He's obviously being supported by a series of bars and people!

No no no...they're holding him down, otherwise he'd fly away, of course!

lisab said:
But to certain Seattle residents, the Summer Solstice is a special day to join up with several hundred of your closest friends, strip nekkid, paint your body, and ride through the streets...usually on a bicycle!

Did you participate? If so, we would like pictures. :tongue2:

lisab said:
No no no...they're holding him down, otherwise he'd fly away, of course!

Ohhhh! That DOES make sense! No wonder your daughter was overwhelmed by the spirit of the FSM

Ivan Seeking said:
Did you participate? If so, we would like pictures. :tongue2:

Ahahaha, I'll never tell!

OK actually I will tell. No, I didn't...I'm a bit too modest for that sort of hijinks :redface:.

lisab said:
OK actually I will tell. No, I didn't...I'm a bit too modest for that sort of hijinks :redface:.

A brief aside: I was once caught skinny dipping by an entire troop of Girl Scouts. I was standing on a rock and about to dive into the river when I heard the voices... too late!

Ivan Seeking said:
A brief aside: I was once caught skinny dipping by an entire troop of Girl Scouts. I was standing on a rock and about to dive into the river when I heard the voices... too late!

Now the real moment of defining who you are... did you jump in or show off?

Ivan Seeking said:

Ah well, https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=2232364&postcount=9"...but nekkid in a parade...that would take a *lot* of alcohol!

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh boy...

This is so wrong.

But entertaining nonetheless... ;-)

Of all the ways to paint oneself, why did that fat girl choose to paint bloody red smears coming out of her crotch? It looks like she tried to had a pregnancy gone wrong while riding on her bicycle.

Also, I see a lot of people with full body paint...like for example the man all in silver paint. Isn't that an easy way to kill yourself?

junglebeast said:
Of all the ways to paint oneself, why did that fat girl choose to paint bloody red smears coming out of her crotch? It looks like she tried to had a pregnancy gone wrong while riding on her bicycle.

Also, I see a lot of people with full body paint...like for example the man all in silver paint. Isn't that an easy way to kill yourself?

http://www.snopes.com/movies/films/goldfinger.asp"

I can't find a picture of silver man, who has been painted from head to toe every second weekend in July for as long as I can remember, but here's someone else painted up:

IMG_5565t.jpg

The solstice means the http://www.mac-photo.net/writings/ocf.shtml" is just weeks away!

Was this Ride Naked day? Haha that happens to coincide with my dad and uncle's shared birthday.

Re: What does the Solstice mean to you?

It is 9:42 PM, it is cloudy and raining, and there is still a bit of light outside.

even with paints on, it would still take a lot of nerves to join a parade like that. the blushing on my cheeks couldn't be hidden.:redface:

The picture of the flying spaghetti monster is nice, Lisa, good frog perspective. A dead sure winner of the PF Photo contest in a few weeks or so from now, with the central theme "flying spaghetti monsters".

What does the Solstice mean to you?

It means the day with the latest sunset happens in about 1 week. And the day with the earliest sunrise happened about 1 week ago.

Hm, days are getting shorter, time to prepare for winter.

I have some experience in walking dressed and naked and in biking dressed. Seems like biking naked is the last piece of the puzzle.

dyosa said:
even with paints on, it would still take a lot of nerves to join a parade like that. the blushing on my cheeks couldn't be hidden.:redface:
From the front and from behind! :biggrin:

Hell: Being reincarnated as a bicycle seat in Seattle.
lisab said:
25euxqd.jpg

OmCheeto said:
http://www.snopes.com/movies/films/goldfinger.asp"

I can't find a picture of silver man, who has been painted from head to toe every second weekend in July for as long as I can remember, but here's someone else painted up:

IMG_5565t.jpg

The solstice means the http://www.mac-photo.net/writings/ocf.shtml" is just weeks away!

You must not have fully read that link, because it goes on to say that full body painting can be deadly!

"This isn't to say that painting yourself isn't unsafe, however — clogging all your pores prevents you from perspiring and could eventually cause you to die from overheating, and toxic substances found in paint could contribute to your demise if you stay in a painted state too long. "

In addition a number of people have died from spraying deoderant over their entire bodies

Wait just a minute there! It looks sunny and dry in those photos...are you sure that's Seattle?

I'm going to have to send links to those photos to my boyfriend. He called me the other day and asked if I wanted to move to Seattle with him, and I think he was only half joking. He's applying for a job out there. I told him he could have decided that BEFORE I bought a house here. :rolleyes: I'm not sure he really wants to move to Seattle either, though, at least not permanently, but I think the job open out there is too good for him not to try.

junglebeast said:
You must not have fully read that link, because it goes on to say that full body painting can be deadly!

"This isn't to say that painting yourself isn't unsafe, however — clogging all your pores prevents you from perspiring and could eventually cause you to die from overheating, and toxic substances found in paint could contribute to your demise if you stay in a painted state too long. "

In addition a number of people have died from spraying deoderant over their entire bodies

Yes I did read the entire thread. But as I said, there is a gentleman whom I've seen for at least 20 years who has done this to his body. And the fair we attend is in the middle of July. I have never seen him look overheated, nor intoxicated from his outfit.

And who on Earth is so stinky that they have to spray deodorant over their entire bodies?
Obviously insane people, as far as I'm concerned.

Let Darwinism weed out the crazies. It makes me look more sane.
:rolleyes:

1. What is the Solstice?

The Solstice is an astronomical event that occurs twice a year, marking the longest and shortest days of the year. It is when the sun reaches its highest or lowest point in the sky, resulting in the longest or shortest amount of daylight.

2. When does the Solstice occur?

The Solstice occurs twice a year, typically on June 21st or 22nd for the summer Solstice and December 21st or 22nd for the winter Solstice. However, it can vary slightly from year to year due to the Earth's orbit around the sun.

3. What is the significance of the Solstice?

The Solstice has been celebrated by various cultures for thousands of years and holds different meanings for different people. It is often seen as a time of rebirth and renewal, as well as a celebration of light and the changing of seasons.

4. How is the Solstice celebrated?

There are many different ways to celebrate the Solstice, depending on cultural and personal traditions. Some common celebrations include bonfires, feasts, and rituals honoring the sun and its significance. Many modern celebrations also involve spending time outdoors and connecting with nature.

5. What does the Solstice mean to scientists?

For scientists, the Solstice is an important astronomical event that marks the changing of seasons and the Earth's tilt in relation to the sun. It is also a time to observe and study the effects of the Solstice on the Earth's climate and ecosystems.