What does the time dilation equation t=t(p)*γ mean and when do you use it?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Dgonzo15
Messages
14
Reaction score
0
Hello, can someone give me an explanation of the time dilation equation t=t(p)*γ? I know it's used to measure something about a difference in sense of time in different reference frames, but I don't know how to put it into context. Can someone give me an example where you would use the time dilation equation?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Assume you have two clocks that are identical in construction.

Assume clock A is moving at 80% of the speed of light relative to clock B.

This would make γ equal to 1.6666...

t(p) would be the time that passes on clock A as measured by clock A

t is the time clock B measures for that time to pass on for clock A.

For example after 1 hr according to clock B, only 0.6 hrs will have passed on Clock B.

This assumes that the "observer" is at rest with respect to clock B.
 
Simple example, I am on the Earth with a clock that has been synchronized with another clock at some common origin (second clock on a plane moving past me at 50% speed of light). If I want to know what the clock reads on the plane in my reference frame, I have to use time dilation equation.