What does this vector notation mean?

In summary, the conversation is about understanding the notation of vectors, specifically the use of φ(a,b) to represent the angle between two vectors a and b. The (a,b) part is simply a more precise way of writing it, indicating that the angle depends on the order of the vectors. Additionally, the other notation mentioned represents the theorem of Pythagoras for calculating the length of a vector in coordinates.
Yealtas
Hello,

I'm currently doing vectors in class, but I don't know what these parts mean.

Especially φ(a,b). I understand cos(φ), but I don't understand cos(φ(a,b)). φ is the angle between two vectors a and b, but what does the (a,b) part add?

I tried to google, but I couldn't really find anything helpful. Again, I'm not interested in proof or anything of the likes right now. For now I am just trying to decipher the symbols so I understand what I am doing.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The (##\vec a, \vec b##) part just informs someone that the angle φ is the angle between the vectors a and b (without the obligation to write it in words) as you correctly said.

Yealtas said:
Hello,

I'm currently doing vectors in class, but I don't know what these parts mean.

Especially φ(a,b). I understand cos(φ), but I don't understand cos(φ(a,b)). φ is the angle between two vectors a and b, but what does the (a,b) part add?
It is simply rigor. ##\varphi (\vec{a},\vec{b})## is what you wrote: angle ##\varphi ## between ##\vec{a}## and ##\vec{b}##. As the angle depends on the vectors, and the order, it is simply the precise way to write it, so ##\varphi = \varphi (\vec{a},\vec{b})##.
I tried to google, but I couldn't really find anything helpful. Again, I'm not interested in proof or anything of the likes right now. For now I am just trying to decipher the symbols so I understand what I am doing.

Thanks in advance for the help.
The other marked notation means: If ##\vec{a}=(a_1,\ldots ,a_n)## in coordinates, then for the length of the vector ##|\vec{a}|^2 = a_1^2+\ldots + a_n^2##. It's the theorem of Pythagoras.

DoItForYourself said:
The (##\vec a, \vec b##) part just informs someone that the angle φ is the angle between the vectors a and b (without the obligation to write it in words) as you correctly said.
fresh_42 said:
It is simply rigor. ##\varphi (\vec{a},\vec{b})## is what you wrote: angle ##\varphi ## between ##\vec{a}## and ##\vec{b}##. As the angle depends on the vectors, and the order, it is simply the precise way to write it, so ##\varphi = \varphi (\vec{a},\vec{b})##.

The other marked notation means: If ##\vec{a}=(a_1,\ldots ,a_n)## in coordinates, then for the length of the vector ##|\vec{a}|^2 = a_1^2+\ldots + a_n^2##. It's the theorem of Pythagoras.

Thanks, both of you. :)

1. What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical object that represents both magnitude (size or length) and direction. It is commonly represented by an arrow pointing in a specific direction. Vectors are used in many fields, including physics, engineering, and computer science.

2. What does the notation <x, y> mean?

The notation <x, y> represents a two-dimensional vector with an x-component and a y-component. The x-component represents the magnitude of the vector in the horizontal direction, and the y-component represents the magnitude in the vertical direction.

3. What does |v| mean in vector notation?

The notation |v| represents the magnitude or length of a vector. It is calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, where the square root of the sum of the squares of all the vector components gives the overall length of the vector.

4. What is the difference between a vector and a scalar?

A vector has both magnitude and direction, while a scalar only has magnitude. This means that a vector can be represented by multiple numbers or variables, whereas a scalar can only be represented by a single value.

5. How are vectors used in real life?

Vectors are used in various real-life applications, such as navigation (e.g. GPS uses vectors to determine direction and distance), motion analysis (e.g. in sports or video games), and engineering (e.g. to represent forces and velocities). They are also used in computer graphics to create 3D animations and simulate physical phenomena.