What does tidal gravity feel like?

In summary: I were orbiting an object, my head would be pulled off and my feet would be pulled off too, but my middle would still be in the same place?In summary, an astronaut orbiting the Earth experiences tidal forces, but they are so tiny that he doesn't "experience" them in any meaningful way. If he were orbiting a black hole, that would be a different story, but that's a difference in quantitative effect, not qualitative effect.
FtlIsAwesome
Gold Member
Suppose we have an astronaut orbiting Object X. His feet are tidally locked with it. He is close enough that there is a gravity difference between his feet and his head, say 0.3 g at his feet and -0.3 g at his head. What exactly will this feel like? What about lesser or stronger gravity differences?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Hi FtlIsAwesome! :smile:

(what's negative gravity? :confused:)

Tidal gravity s t r e t c h e s the astronaut …

thats all there is to it :wink:

Oops. I kinda thought that didn't make sense, but I wasn't sure how to word it.
The astronaut feels a pull on his feet downward, and a pull on his head upward, while his center is weightless, right?

Yup! :smile:

same thing happens to the Moon …

its centre of mass is orbiting at exactly the correct speed …

the bit nearest the Earth is orbiting too slowly, and the bit furthest too fast, so both feel a force away from the centre, ie the Moon is stretched

(which is basically why the Moon lost all that energy that caused it to face us all the time)

Lie with your centre-of mass at the centre of a fast-rotating carousel to achieve this same effect.

FtlIsAwesome said:
Oops. I kinda thought that didn't make sense, but I wasn't sure how to word it.
The astronaut feels a pull on his feet downward, and a pull on his head upward, while his center is weightless, right?

The only way to get his head pulled upward would be if there was an equally powerful gravitational attractor as close to his head (in terms of effect) as the gravitational attractor in the direction of his feet.

What happens, as pointed out in the posts before mine, is that his head and his feet are BOTH pulled down, just that the feet are pulled down MORE and the middle of his body somewhere in the middle. His middle is not in free fall.

phinds said:
What happens, as pointed out in the posts before mine, is that his head and his feet are BOTH pulled down, just that the feet are pulled down MORE and the middle of his body somewhere in the middle. His middle is not in free fall.
Isn't there a difference between falling toward an object and orbiting it? I can see this happening if you are falling towards it, not orbiting it.
tiny-tim said:
[The Moon's] centre of mass is orbiting at exactly the correct speed …

the bit nearest the Earth is orbiting too slowly, and the bit furthest too fast, so both feel a force away from the centre, ie the Moon is stretched

FtlIsAwesome said:
Isn't there a difference between falling toward an object .

It has been a lot of years since I did basic physics, but I think it is correct to say that "orbiting an object" IS "falling toward it". If you weren't falling toward it, you would be flying off into space. I understand that this is NOT moving closer to the center, which I'm figure is likely what you mean by falling. With luck, someone more knowledgeable will jump in any explain this better. An astronaut orbiting the Earth experiences tidal forces, but they are so tiny that he doesn't "experience" them in any meaningful way. If he were orbiting a black hole, that would be a different story, but that's a difference in quantitative effect, not qualitative effect.

FtlIsAwesome said:
I can see this happening if you are falling towards it, not orbiting it.

Again, I hope someone more knowledgeable will jump in, but I believe that tidal forces are purely a function of distance from the center of mass, not dependant on whether you are orbiting or heading straight in.

I was about to bring this distinction up.

If you were orbiting, you would (at least in theory) feel yourself flung around the object - that's what the upward pull would feel like. Imagine sticking your head off the edge of a carousel. You'd feel like you were hanging upside down.

DaveC426913 said:
I was about to bring this distinction up.

If you were orbiting, you would (at least in theory) feel yourself flung around the object - that's what the upward pull would feel like. Imagine sticking your head off the edge of a carousel. You'd feel like you were hanging upside down.

Ah ... I think I get that Dave. Thanks. I guess the spahettification would still happen (if you were close enough) but would act differently than I was thinking, because whatever force it is that was keeping you from getting any closer to the center of mass would be pulling your head off and the gravity from below would be pulling your feet off, and my earlier statement that your middle is NOT in freefall was wrong. Do I have it right now?

Larry Niven wrote the Hugo award-winning http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutron_Star_(short_story)" [Broken] where the protagonist went through this exact experience.

He did a nape-of-surface hyperbolic trajectory around a neutron star and only survived by positioning himself at the ...

...wait...

Read the story.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dave, I read all the early Niven stuff as it came out so I'm sure I read that one but I stopped reading Sci Fic quite a few years ago and my memory isn't what it used to be. In fact my memory never was what it used to be. :smile:

I've gotten into cosmology and QM as a raw amateur in the last year or so and find it discouraging sometimes how much of the simple basic physics stuff I have forgotten, and even worse how much of it I can no longer figure out nearly as readily as I once was able to 50 years ago when I was in engineering school.

1. What is tidal gravity?

Tidal gravity is the phenomenon where the gravitational forces of the moon and sun cause the ocean tides on Earth.

2. How does tidal gravity affect our daily lives?

Tidal gravity affects our daily lives by influencing the ocean tides, which in turn affect maritime activities, coastal ecosystems, and even weather patterns.

3. What does tidal gravity feel like?

Tidal gravity is not something that can be physically felt by humans. It is a force that is constantly acting on the Earth's oceans.

4. Can tidal gravity cause earthquakes?

Tidal gravity can contribute to the triggering of earthquakes, but it is not the sole cause. Other factors such as plate tectonics and geological processes also play a role in earthquake activity.

5. Is tidal gravity stronger on certain parts of the Earth?

Yes, tidal gravity is stronger on areas closer to the moon and sun, such as coastal regions, due to their proximity to the gravitational sources.