1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B What else can UV rays be used for?

1. Dec 23, 2016 #1
    **For example, drying a surface
    --> I know it has an effect on the skin, but if it were contained and blocked from sight, would it still leave any radiation emissions on any hard surface??

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 23, 2016 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

UV radiation does not leave any residual radiation behind, as it isn't neutron radiation. However, it can easily break many molecular bonds and quickly degrade the outer surface of a material. This is one reason the Sun bleaches objects left outside.

Are you trying to use UV light for some purpose?

4. Dec 23, 2016 #3
    I was just thinking if UV rays can be used for some good...ultimately I'm curious if it can be used to dry surfaces, like running tracks or roads, without deterring/damaging any of the surface

5. Dec 23, 2016 #4

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Certainly. Here's a list of applications on wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultraviolet#Applications

I can't imagine that it would be more effective and cost efficient than other ways of drying the surface. To dry the surface you're going to need to evaporate the water (unless you have a really big towel), which means you'll have to put in some minimum amount of energy, no matter what the method of drying is. Certain methods are better than others, and I can't see UV as being a particularly good way of going about it.

6. Dec 25, 2016 #5

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

it's also used in dentistry for setting of the composite filling material in tooth cavities

7. Dec 25, 2016 #6

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

And curing a whole host of adhesives. The guy who repaired the chip on my windscreen used a clear resin which was set in about a minute with a UV source held against the glass.

8. Dec 26, 2016 #7

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

9. Dec 28, 2016 #8

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Fluorescent lighting. u.v. is used to excite the phosphor coating on the lightbulb wall, which then emits visible light.

10. Dec 28, 2016 #9

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Before the NSLS at Brookhaven was decommissioned, it had two separate synchrotron rings: the larger x-ray ring and the smaller UV ring. The UV facility was very useful to study low-energy excitation of materials.

I was one of the beneficiaries of the UV ring at NSLS I. The old lady was showing its age by the time it was shut down, but boy did that place produced a lot of good science!

Zz.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted