Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What else do we know about dark matter?

1. Oct 14, 2013 #1
    Hi, i got interested in the dark matter, rather than dark matter is another potential force/particles than gravity to create the galaxies what other influences it does that we are currently aware of?

Thanks
    (Keep it simple please, high school student)

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2013 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Sorry, but I find your post a bit incoherent so I'm not clear on what you DO understand about dark matter.

What we know is basically two things

(1) There is a LOT of it and it exists primarily in galactic halos and is likely instrumental in galactic formation.
    (2) It interacts only gravitationally, not via electromagnetic radiation (by either emission or absorption) with the rest of the universe.

#2 is a bit unclear. We don't KNOW that it interacts at all, but I think the consensus assumption is that it very likely does, albeit in a very weak manner. The primary candidate for dark matter particles is WIMPs.

4. Oct 14, 2013 #3
    If we know WIMPs then why we can not make any experimentations on it to understand how it behaves in different situations?

5. Oct 14, 2013 #4

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Because they don't interact with much of anything and we can't CATCH any.

6. Oct 14, 2013 #5

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Efforts to directly detect dark matter have been underway for a number of years now. The necessary technology is relatively new. It was one of the goals of the LHC, and also projects like DAMA/Libra and COUPP-60.

7. Oct 15, 2013 #6
    Is there any theories about it yet?
    Is there anything to do with quantum mechanics?

8. Oct 15, 2013 #7

bapowell

Science Advisor

9. Oct 15, 2013 #8

bapowell

Science Advisor

The more popular theories that contain dark matter particle candidates possess a special symmetry called supersymmetry. There are also non-supersymmetric models, like axion models. These are all hypothetical. Dark matter, if it turns out to consist of WIMPs, would be subject to quantum mechanics at the smallest scales just like ordinary matter.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook