1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What else turns iodine blue black?

1. Nov 1, 2008 #1
    Hello guys, i would like to ask, except for starch or carbohydrates, what else could turn iodine blue black in color?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2008 #2
    toilet paper??

4. Nov 1, 2008 #3

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Mostly cellulose, so it qualifies as carbohydrates.

5. Nov 2, 2008 #4
    Thank you. Well because there is this health company that says they are selling alkaline water which is an antioxidant. They demonstrated an experiment which they used iodine and with their water, the iodine turned blue black and not colorless so i suspected and asked. thanks.

6. Nov 2, 2008 #5

Borek

Staff: Mentor

I can be missing something, but it doesn't make sense to me.

What do you mean by iodine? Elemental? Or iodine tincture?

But it doesn't matter (much). In both cases you have some amount of iodine - I2 - in the solution. That should be by itself slightly bluish/violet (with depth of the color depending on the concetration and solvent used). If you add any "antioxidant" I would expect it to reduce oxidizing agents, in this case turn iodine (colorful) into iodide (colorless). So something doesn't sound right.

Honestly, when I hear

I expect snake oil.

7. Nov 2, 2008 #6
    Yeah that is what i learned too. It should turn colorless. Thanks for the info will search it up.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?