[Chemistry] Effects of iron (III), and iodine on esters

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 5K views
Sean1218
Messages
84
Reaction score
0
More specifically, on acetylsalicylic acid (both crude/made in class, and commercial/store-bought), and salicylic acid. Please hang with me, I'll get to my question in a second.

I did these tests:

Crude aspirin w/ iron (III): Translucent, light peach in colour
Crude aspirin w/ iodine: Cloudy, orange in colour

Commercial aspirin w/ iron (III): Cloudy, violet in colour; no change after adding a few drops of NaOH
Commercial aspirin w/ iodine: Opaque, dark, olive green in colour [this one should be dark purpley, so something went wrong]

Salicylic acid w/ iron (III): Opaque, dark purple in colour

Basically, I have to determine why I got the results I did (i.e. colour changes). Mainly why the commercial aspirin w/ iodine turned olive green, but crude aspirin was orange (since they contain starch it should be dark purpley, so what could have happened?), and why the salicylic acid w/ iron (III) turned dark purple.

Explanations for the crude/commercial aspirin with iron, and why adding NaOH didn't have any effect with the commercial would also be helpful if you know, but I mainly just need the other ones.

I did a bit of research for other tests that I ran (not listed) and managed to answer those, but these are the ones that I haven't been able to find much on.

So, any help would be great!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
One thing that immediately jumps to mind is that commercial aspirin may contain many things, depending on brand - are you sure it is just starch that is added? Perhaps what you had was aspirin with ascorbic acid?
 
Well, I don't know starch was added, but my teacher said it should be dark purple, so I assumed.
 
Ok, I managed to answer most of them. All except for the iodine tests. I have no idea why it turned out the way it did. Anyone care to explain?