What equation determines if a rotor disc can lift a given mass vertically?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Moses
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Helicopter Works
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 9K views
Moses
Messages
68
Reaction score
0
Well, I know this Q might look cheesy or silly...but:
What is the major equation which decides if X disc with Y raduis with Z angular acceleration will carry M mass and "fly" with it...I am just concern about vertical movements...not the horizantal...Basically its about a hgelicopter moving in one dimension "up"

Cheerz
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure about your wording there, but a helicopter rotor blade is just a wing. The speed of the blade at any point depends on its radius and rpm, then with that, you can calculate the lift.
 
Can you give me the equation of the left please?

Thx for help.