What equations and laws should I know for acids, bases, and salts?

  • Thread starter Thread starter xnonamex0206
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Acids Bases
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 5K views
xnonamex0206
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
[SOLVED] Acids, Bases, and Salts

I will be starting on a new chapter unit of Acids, Bases, and Salts for class. I was wondering what important information I should be aware of, like equations and laws since I want to stay ahead of my class, and not die if I miss a day.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Derivations of the Henderson-Hasselbach equation as well as the normal pH equation

The equation of the formation of water as well as the related equilibrium theory equations

The neutralization equation of an acid and base

pH problems where the acid or base is neutralized and then asks for the pH

Titration curves including the pH=pKa point - essentially there's a lot to this chapter my advice is that you practice a lot of problems.
 
Cool, just had chemistry today, went over the introductory parts of the unit. We've gone over the equation of the formation of water, and the conjugate bases, and acids of each acid or base. What are titration curves though?
 
xnonamex0206 said:
Cool, just had chemistry today, went over the introductory parts of the unit. We've gone over the equation of the formation of water, and the conjugate bases, and acids of each acid or base. What are titration curves though?

You will probably find titration curves easy to understand just as you found acids and bases and salts to be easy to understand after you read those sections in your book. From your question, you are probably in a General Chemistry course and you never took/enrolled in a Chemistry course before. The simpler Chemistry courses will not likely deal with titration curves. THE ANSWER: A person can add a standard concentration of a known acid or base to a solution containing a base or acid to neutralize it, and measure pH after each addition of the standard solution. The graph of data points of volume of standard solution (called the titrant) with corresponding pH is a titration curve. You then have a picture showing pH as a function of volume of titrant.
 
Actually, haha Tritation curves come up later up in the chapter. Thanks for the explanation. Now I can have an early understanding for them.

Derivations of the Henderson-Hasselbach equation as well as the normal pH equation

Could someone explain Henderson-Hasselbach though, this doesn't seem to be in my notes.

Also what is RICE?
 
Thank you I wrote down the equations that were listed on the website.
 
Note: Henderson-Hasselbalch equation has its limitations and can't be used blindly. For solutions above 10 mM and acids weaker than pKa 2.5, Henderson-Hasselbalch equation gives results with acceptable error. That's assuming you use it to calculate pH of the solution simply putting HA and A- concentrations calculated from neutralization stoichiometry.


ChemBuddy chemical calculators
 
Last edited: