Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What exactly is a hero?

1. Apr 15, 2009 #1

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

A helicopter carrying workers back from an oil rig crashes - apparently the dead passengers are heros - http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/north_east/7997950.stm

Yes it's sad and ironic that the off shore industry has such a good safety record that almost all the fatalities for the last 20years have been from helicopter crashes (frankly if God had meant helicopters to fly he would have given them wings) but how exactly does that make them heroes?

Are the passengers of the turbo-prop crash in Buffalo heroes? They were going to work in just the same way.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2009 #2
    Well, if they hadn't been in the helicopter someone else would have died. So in a way they boldly sacrificed their lives for the sake of others.

4. Apr 15, 2009 #3
    I guess they were compensated for that by high wages?

I thought about it some time ago...

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=252183

So definitely, these aren't heroes.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  5. Apr 15, 2009 #4
    I believe in times of condolence, the word hero, often is used in such a manor. I wouldn't quibble over its use at such a time.

6. Apr 15, 2009 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Perhaps a broader definition of hero is invoked here: People who do hard, dangerous work, everyday, in order to support their families.

7. Apr 15, 2009 #6
    That would make almost everyone on earth a hero.

I guess the stereotypical hero should be someone putting ones own life at risk to save another.

8. Apr 15, 2009 #7

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think in this case I think it was a bit of cynical electioneering between the PM and the Scottish nationalists.
    Like how dead union members are heroes to right wing politicians AFTER a mining accident

Last edited: Apr 15, 2009
  9. Apr 15, 2009 #8

DaveC426913

Gold Member

If you read the quote in context, it makes more sense:

"...it serves to remind us of those who are the heroes of this industry ... have paid the ultimate price for the richness harvested below the seabed."

i.e. they are heroes in their industry because they have the most dangerous and least-enviable (safety-wise) jobs of anyone. The industry wouldn't exist if brave men didn't risk their lives doing the actual drilling.

In my opinion it becomes a non-issue, not worthy of being sensationalized by propogating the meme out of context.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2009
  10. Apr 15, 2009 #9
    a hero is one who is willing to sacrifice even his life for the sake of many...but i prefer heroes who live after doing the job ought to be done.:wink:

11. Apr 15, 2009 #10
    The vast majority of people, when confronted with an extreme situation, freeze in fear, or contemplation, or whatever happens to be relevant to the situation. A minority of people are able to keep their head cool and react appropriately. They are heroes. It pretty much can not be predicted how one will react until actually in situation.

One important word is "appropriately". I assume that it obvious one will sacrifice his life if it can save many. If you are selfish to begin with, it is not very interesting to ask whether you will act as a hero when needed.

Those people would not qualify as heroes, but I don't really care about them honestly.

12. Apr 15, 2009 #11

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I jumped out of an airplane once for fun. Jumping out of an airplane is far more inherrently dangerous than flying in a helicopter to an oil rig. So I'm a hero, right?

13. Apr 15, 2009 #12

berkeman

There's a new definition and picture in the dictionary for Hero...

Attached Files:

14. Apr 15, 2009 #13
    So, these are also heroes then?

http://www.globalenvision.org/files/trashpickers.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  15. Apr 15, 2009 #14
    They died working to obtain america's life blood...i'm sure any SUV owner would tell you these men are heros...i happen to live in an area populated by oil field workers, and let me tell you, most of them are crack heads with few fingers and few teeth

16. Apr 15, 2009 #15

DaveC426913

Gold Member

You sort of ignored the rest of the comment.

Is an industry depending on you jumping out of that plane?

17. Apr 15, 2009 #16

DaveC426913

Gold Member

This is relevant how?

18. Apr 15, 2009 #17
    they were oil rig workers, i don't see how it makes them heros that they died in a helicopter crash...death in itself is not a heroic act, neither is working on an oil rig

19. Apr 15, 2009 #18

russ_watters

I took the half that waht didn't. You said:
    ....which says both that they are heroes for doing their jobs (and as waht pointed out, so does almost everyone else on earth...), and that they are heroes because what they do is dangerous: and so is skydiving.
    Yes! The skydiving industry.

Anyway, neither criteria alone allows you to consider an activity "heroic", then perhaps it is the combination of the two: doing your job and the fact that the job is dangerous. But why is it more heroic to get paid to do something dangerous than it is to it for free (or even to pay)?

Is a fighter pilot who never sees combat a hero?
    Yes, so why when you combine the two does that make them heroes?

20. Apr 15, 2009 #19

russ_watters

Today, a designer in my office had to go into a manhole to survey some underground steam piping. That is dangerous - people die from asphyxiation in manholes. But the successful completion of project depends on him doing it.

Hero?

21. Apr 16, 2009 #20
    A hero is someone who performs actions,which are for the good, whilst fighting their own personal fears.It is heroic for a severe agoraphobic to venture out to the shops.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook