1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What exactly is this question acting?

1. Jul 4, 2012 #1
    http://www.math.poly.edu/courses/ma0914/past_exams/MA922_Midterm_2001-05-23.pdf [Broken]

The first questions that are asking about domain. If I recall right domain is the set which has all possible inputs for a function. I don't understand it means in this context.

Lol it wrote acting instead of asking.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 4, 2012 #2

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Hmm yeah that does look odd. I suppose what it's supposed to be trying to say is within the domain of arcsin(x), is the value of arcsin(sin(-1)) = -1?

4. Jul 4, 2012 #3
    Well then the answer would be yes because sin-1 is a number less then 1 and -1.

5. Jul 4, 2012 #4

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Nearly, the arcsin function is taken to be the inverse of the sin function on the domain [tex]x\in \left[-\frac{\pi}{2},\frac{\pi}{2}\right][/tex] and so because -1 is in this domain, then sin(-1) is defined and thus arcsin of that value is also defined, giving us back the value -1.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook