What Factors Influence the Basicity Order of Substituted Anilines?

  • Thread starter Thread starter sachin123
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Basicity
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
sachin123
Messages
117
Reaction score
0
Hey folks.
The orders given are stated in my book.I'm here to ask why.

basicity: p-methyl aniline>m-()>aniline>o-()
p exerts hyperconjugation and +I,m only +I ,but ortho exerts hyperconjugation and higher +I.
Shouldn't o-methyl aniline have high basicity?

basicity: aniline>m-nitro()>p-nitro()>o-nitro()
Why is o- at last?Shouldn't it move NH2 out of plane so that no -R takes place?

And is the ortho effect applicable to all substituents?Can you clear this for me?
Thank You.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
PLease tell me if my post isn't clear(and where).
 
Ask the moderators of this forum to move your thread to the Chem folder. Send a PM to Moonbear.