What Focal Length Lens Corrects a Near Point from 80cm to 30cm?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
klilly
Messages
3
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A person had a near point of 80 cm. What focal length lens would be required to correct this persons near point to 30cm, allowing then to read at this distance

Homework Equations



Maybe: 1/di + 1/do = 1/f = P
I found another similar question which used 1/(the given near point aka the 80cm) - 1/(the desired near point aka 30) = 1/f
This got me the right answer, but I still don't understand why.

The Attempt at a Solution



The answer is 48cm
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
. I got this answer by using the equation I found for similar problems, which is 1/(the given near point aka the 80cm) - 1/(the desired near point aka 30) = 1/f