What Happened to MTW's Gravitation Giveaway on Amazon?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
12 replies · 3K views
Physics news on Phys.org
Great book. I did an independent study using preprints of the book in 1972.

This 2017 book is essentially the same as the original 1973 first-edition

The book was left unchanged from the original except for a forward by Kip Thorne, which was added. I got the new 2017 copy thinking there was new stuff, but I was sadly disappointed that they just republished it in celebration of Thorne's notoriety with the gravity wave detector work.

Thorne describes the outdated sections of the book. The first 8 to 10 chapters are still quite valuable in understanding general relativity.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: ohwilleke and dextercioby
It is in the preface to 2017 edition, pp. XXXV-XLII. Here is p. XXXV:

1728296667628.png
 
  • Like
  • Informative
Likes   Reactions: ohwilleke and dextercioby
I've been meaning to get this book for quite some time. Apologies, but this is my first time in this subforum. I looked through the guidelines. Do I simply reply to the thread to be enrolled in the giveaway (assuming it's still active)?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: berkeman
BiGyElLoWhAt said:
I've been meaning to get this book for quite some time. Apologies, but this is my first time in this subforum. I looked through the guidelines. Do I simply reply to the thread to be enrolled in the giveaway (assuming it's still active)?
It is active. As per guidelines,
  • For safety, we recommend that members use direct messaging to share personal details like addresses or payment information. Do not post sensitive personal information publicly.
Let me know if you need more information.
Cheers.
 
I see I misunderstood "giveaway" as a contest of some sorts. Thanks for the clarification.
 
Well, it seems that this book will continue to hold the bookcase's center of gravity down.
 
  • Haha
  • Sad
Likes   Reactions: Vanadium 50 and gmax137
Hill said:
Well, it seems that this book will continue to hold the bookcase's center of gravity down.
That really surprises me. It's a lot of book for postage.
 
gmax137 said:
That really surprises me. It's a lot of book for postage.
Not from here. I've asked in our post office. It is almost $40 to the US. :frown:
 
Hill said:
Not from here. I've asked in our post office. It is almost $40 to the US. :frown:
Yikes! Where are you located if you don't mind saying.

I looked on Amazon and the book is only 62 USD (and I get 'free' shipping with Prime). I was surprised at that price, I would have guessed much higher (closer to 200 USD). I have a copy from decades ago so its moot to me.
 
gmax137 said:
Where are you located if you don't mind saying.
PM.