What happens if i lift a weight on bathroom scales

In summary, the purpose of using bathroom scales to lift weights is to measure the amount of force or weight being lifted. However, lifting weights on bathroom scales can affect the accuracy of the weight measurement and potentially damage the scales. To ensure an accurate measurement, it is best to use a separate set of scales for weighing objects. Alternatively, a weightlifting journal or fitness tracker can also be used to track weightlifting progress without using bathroom scales.
Michhcim
Member warned to use the formatting template for homework posts.
If i am standing on bathroom scales and i lift a weight, what will it do to the reading on the scales?

I assume that lifting the weight will involve a force from my arm on to the weight, and an equal and opposite force will then push back, causing be to weigh more?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you try it as an experiment?

+1 to doing the experiment.Were is the weigh BEFORE you lift it?

1. What is the purpose of using bathroom scales to lift weights?

The purpose of using bathroom scales to lift weights is to measure the amount of force or weight that you are lifting. This can help you track your progress and determine if you are lifting the appropriate amount of weight for your fitness goals.

2. Will lifting weights on bathroom scales affect the accuracy of the weight measurement?

Yes, lifting weights on bathroom scales can affect the accuracy of the weight measurement. This is because the scales are designed to measure body weight, not the weight of additional objects. The added weight of the weights can throw off the measurement and provide an inaccurate reading.

3. Can lifting weights on bathroom scales damage the scales?

Yes, lifting heavy weights on bathroom scales can potentially damage the scales. The scales are not designed to withstand excessive weight and the added pressure can damage the internal mechanisms, causing them to provide inaccurate readings or stop working altogether.

4. How can I ensure an accurate weight measurement while lifting weights on bathroom scales?

To ensure an accurate weight measurement while lifting weights on bathroom scales, it is best to use a separate set of scales specifically designed for weighing objects. This way, you can track your body weight on the bathroom scales and use the other set of scales to accurately measure the weight of the weights you are lifting.

5. Are there any alternative ways to track weightlifting progress without using bathroom scales?

Yes, there are alternative ways to track weightlifting progress without using bathroom scales. You can use a weightlifting journal to write down the amount of weight you are lifting and track your progress over time. Additionally, many fitness apps and trackers have features that allow you to log your weightlifting progress and track your improvements.