What happens when you commute Sx and Sz in spin operators?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
2 replies · 2K views
Dennmac
Messages
2
Reaction score
3
So we know [Sz, Sx] = ihbar Sy (S with hats on) so what happens if you get [Sx, Sz]? Is it the same result? Just trying to work out if I've gone wrong somewhere
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Dennmac said:
So we know [Sz, Sx] = ihbar Sy (S with hats on) so what happens if you get [Sx, Sz]? Is it the same result? Just trying to work out if I've gone wrong somewhere
In general ##[A, B] = - [B, A]##. The proof is as easy as they come.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Meir Achuz, vanhees71 and Dale
Facepalm...thank you! Letters are swimming in front my eyes, I think it's time for a break!
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: vanhees71, PeroK and Dale