What if the confederates would have won

• News
  • Thread starter jaap de vries
  • Start date
In summary: I think they would have come back even sooner. Up until the civil war, threatening to secede was the way states forced the federal government to pay attention to their wants. If they won, they'd meet with the government and would have at least eased the import taxes on British goods. The end result would be that industrial growth would have been slower. In 1860, the US couldn't compete against British manufacturing even accounting for the fact that the British had to ship their goods across the Atlantic.
jaap de vries
What if the confederates would have won...

I have a interesting question that I have been thinking of lately.

What if the confederates would have won the civil war to the extend that the USA would have been split up into two countries around the Mason-Dixon line. What would those two countries look like today?

Physics news on Phys.org
jaap de vries said:
I have a interesting question that I have been thinking of lately.

What if the confederates would have won the civil war to the extend that the USA would have been split up into two countries around the Mason-Dixon line. What would those two countries look like today?
With a lower population, a much smaller economy, and no manufacturing base, the South would have come crawling back by 1900 even if they had won. They picked a bad time to go to war: the industrial revolution was in the process of making the slavery issue moot.

jaap de vries said:

Mexico would be a bigger country by now :rofl:

We would all have to learn to speak with a drawl.

russ_watters said:
With a lower population, a much smaller economy, and no manufacturing base, the South would have come crawling back by 1900 even if they had won. They picked a bad time to go to war: the industrial revolution was in the process of making the slavery issue moot.

I think they would have come back even sooner. Up until the civil war, threatening to secede was the way states forced the federal government to pay attention to their wants. If they won, they'd meet with the government and would have at least eased the import taxes on British goods. The end result would be that industrial growth would have been slower. In 1860, the US couldn't compete against British manufacturing even accounting for the fact that the British had to ship their goods across the Atlantic.

It might have slowed growth enough that the US wouldn't have been considered a significant factor in World War I. In other words, the British and French wouldn't have seen much advantage in looking for help from the US.

I don't think the difference would be great enough that you'd see much difference today. Eventually, the US would have caught up, the same as Japan caught up with US auto makers.

It seems to me that a lot of the resources that turned out important (oil) was available in the south.

jaap de vries said:
It seems to me that a lot of the resources that turned out important (oil) was available in the south.
That didn't happen until much later. During the industrial revolution, the natural resource and therefore the manufacturing base of the US was in Pennsylvania. Incidentally/ironically, the year it started was 1861: http://www.priweb.org/ed/pgws/history/pennsylvania/pennsylvania.html

And then there's Standard Oil, the original modern big corporation and part of the reason for the Sherman Anti-Trust Act: founded in Pittsburgh, PA, in 1868.

Last edited:
BobG said:
I think they would have come back even sooner. Up until the civil war, threatening to secede was the way states forced the federal government to pay attention to their wants.
I never really thought of it that way, but yeah - the fact that they decided to go to war kinda means they had already lost.

1. What would have happened if the confederates had won the Civil War?

If the confederates had won the Civil War, it is likely that the United States would have been divided into two separate countries - the Confederate States of America and the United States of America. This would have led to significant changes in the political, economic, and social landscape of both nations.

2. How would the outcome of the Civil War have affected slavery in the United States?

If the confederates had won, it is possible that slavery would have continued to exist in the Confederate States of America. However, it is also possible that the international pressure to abolish slavery would have eventually led to its abolishment in both the Confederate States and the United States.

3. Would the confederates have been able to sustain their independence?

The confederates faced many challenges during the Civil War, including shortages of resources and manpower. If they had won, they would have had to deal with the aftermath of war and rebuild their economy and infrastructure. It is difficult to say if they would have been able to sustain their independence in the long term.

4. What would have been the impact on the Native American population if the confederates had won?

If the confederates had won, it is possible that the expansion of the United States into western territories would have been delayed or altered. This could have had a significant impact on the Native American population, as their land and way of life would have been affected differently.

5. How would the outcome of the Civil War have affected the global balance of power?

If the confederates had won, it would have significantly altered the global balance of power. The United States would not have become the dominant world power that it is today, and the influence of the Confederate States would have been limited. This could have had far-reaching effects on international politics and relations.