What type of motor would have the highest Stalled Torque?

In summary, a traction motor is a type of electric motor that is designed to move things starting from a dead stop. Some sources say that having a stalled torque damages some motors, and the best type of motor to create a decent torque while stalled is a DC motor. Additionally, if the user is looking for a source where they can find torque to speed graphs for different types of electric motors, that would also be very helpful.
Sergio Trigos
I am referring to the output torque of an electric motor when the rotational speed of the rotor is 0 RPM. Some sources say that having a stalled torque damages some motors, and I know that some motors have a constant torque regardless of their speed while others have a max torque at 0 RPM. So If I need an electric motor that can create a decent torque while stalled, which type of motor would be recommended? regardless of weight, size, price, and complexity.

Also if you have a source where I can find torque to speed graphs for the different types of electric motors, that would also be very helpful.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

Traction motors are designed to move things starting from a dead stop.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traction_motor

Edit:
Also if you have a source where I can find torque to speed graphs for the different types of electric motors, that would also be very helpful.

I just go to images.google.com and search for a term like "traction motor speed torque curve" Substitute any other kind of motor you want.

Last edited:
Likes Asymptotic and berkeman
Sergio Trigos said:
Check motor manufacturer websites such as Baldor, Siemens, ABB, Leeson, Marathon, etc.

You may find this and related articles from the Plant Engineering site useful for general information on motor selection.

Brushless DC servomotors can run at full torque all day at zero RPM. Allen-Bradley and Siemens are two well known manufacturers. Here's a link to A-B: http://ab.rockwellautomation.com/Motion-Control/Rotary-Motors. Their MP series are very commonly used.

For maximum stall torque, a separately-excited DC motor, then a series-wound DC motor. Next would be the equivalent AC motors. They are both limited only by the amount of iron in them and the wire size (assuming a sufficient power supply. :smile:)

A NEMA Design D induction motor has its highest torque at 0 RPM. It is designed for high inertia loads. And, since it's an induction motor, it does not have brushes nor does it need a drive. Here's a good discussion about the various classes of induction motors: http://industrialelectricalco.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/nema-abcde-torque-curves.pdf.

Likes jim hardy and Asymptotic
Sergio Trigos said:
I am referring to the output torque of an electric motor when the rotational speed of the rotor is 0 RPM. Some sources say that having a stalled torque damages some motors, and I know that some motors have a constant torque regardless of their speed while others have a max torque at 0 RPM. So If I need an electric motor that can create a decent torque while stalled, which type of motor would be recommended? regardless of weight, size, price, and complexity.

DC motor is one of the best choice to get the absolute most torque as compared to any other. Because its voltage phase and current phase are perpendicular to each other which gives a max absolute torque.

I think you might also look at motor with fewer turns and a gearbox. Fewer turns makes it faster with less torque. The loss of torque is recovered by using a gearbox. Some losses in the gearbox but reduced turns lowers winding resistance and increases stall current.

The OP has not told of the application. In some cases, replacing direct drive with hydraulics is a better solution than high torque motors.

Related:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel%E2%80%93electric_transmission said:
A diesel–electric transmission, or diesel–electric powertrain, is used by a number of vehicle and ship types for providing locomotion.

A diesel–electric transmission system includes a diesel engine connected to an electrical generator, creating electricity that powers electric traction motors. No clutch is required. Before diesel engines came into widespread use, a similar system, using a petrol (gasoline) engine and called petrol–electric or gas–electric, was sometimes used.

Diesel–electric transmission is used on railways by diesel electric locomotivesand diesel electric multiple units, as electric motors are able to supply full torque at 0 RPM. Diesel–electric systems are also used in submarines and surface ships and some land vehicles.

1. What is Stalled Torque?

Stalled Torque is the maximum torque that a motor can generate when it is prevented from rotating, typically due to a load or resistance.

2. How is Stalled Torque measured?

Stalled Torque is usually measured in units of pound-feet (lb-ft) or Newton-meters (Nm) and can be determined by applying a load to the motor and measuring the force required to prevent it from rotating.

3. What factors affect the Stalled Torque of a motor?

The Stalled Torque of a motor is influenced by various factors, including the type and design of the motor, the size and number of windings, the quality of the materials used, and the efficiency of the motor's cooling system.

4. Which type of motor typically has the highest Stalled Torque?

In general, brushed DC motors and AC induction motors tend to have higher Stalled Torque compared to brushless DC motors. However, the specific design and construction of each motor can also impact its Stalled Torque.

5. How can a motor with high Stalled Torque be beneficial?

A motor with high Stalled Torque can provide more power and torque to overcome resistance and move heavy loads. This can be beneficial in various applications, such as industrial machinery, electric vehicles, and robotics.