What is a 3-faced 3-D object?

1. EnumaElish

EnumaElish 2,483
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Is there a 3-D object with 3 faces? What is it called?

2. jcsd
  3. My mind cant comprehend the existence of such a shape :redface:

4. Thats like asking for a 2 sided 2D object.

5. A politician?

6. disregardthat

disregardthat 1,811
    Science Advisor

A cylinder? Or must the faces be flat..?

7. DaleSpam

Staff: Mentor

No such object exists with flat sides.

8. three lines can only intersect in one point, coincide or be parallel so yes, no such object exists.

9. Gib Z

Gib Z 3,348
    Homework Helper

There is an infinite number of 3 dimensional objects with 3 faces, just as there are an infinite number 2 dimensional objects with 2 sides.

10. A tetrahedron with its base removed?

11. Playing Captain Obvious these days? :tongue2:

12. EnumaElish

EnumaElish 2,483
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Good answer; but I was asking about flat surfaces. I understand that no such object exists. Is there a theorem about the min. number of flat surfaces that a 3-D object must have?

13. I think it's best we first clarify what a closed 3 dimensional object is for our purposes. I would say that a simple closed 3 dimensional object is a collection of planar surfaces with properties among which is that a surface in that collection connects to at least as many surfaces as it has vertices. The simplest planar figure is the triangle; since it has 3 sides, it is not possible to meet the said property with only 3 planar faces, hence there is no such 3 dimensional object.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2008
  14. Ben Niehoff

Ben Niehoff 1,699
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A trihedron, of course! :P

15. Gib Z

Gib Z 3,348
    Homework Helper

Getting the right idea =] No one had stated the shape has to be closed.

16. Hello,

What you are thinking of is a 3 dimensional (convex) polytope. I assume you mean codimension 1 faces (i.e. 2 dimensional faces). Technically, edges and vertices are also called faces. In this case, the minimum number of faces is 4 (a tetrahedron). In general, an n dimensional polytope needs to have at least n+1 facets.

17. Darn, I was going to say that. Furthermore, when you consider the convex hull of this polytope, the convex hull can extend in two dimensions; but there needs to be at least one point above the plane of the other points in order to achieve what you desire. Otherwise it's simply a 2-dimensional face.

18. mgb_phys

mgb_phys 8,952
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Wouldn't a Mobius strip have 3 faces? ie. 1 'face' and 2 edges.

19. Good thinking. Why wouldn't it? Make the edges thicker = 3 faces.

But obviously no flat surfaced object could have 3 faces. (politicians aside)

20. Are there geometries where such an object could be constructed or is that a silly question to ask?

21. It only has 1 'face' and 1 edge though. And a Möbius strip is 2-dimensional (as a manifold).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?