What is a False Vacuum? Understanding its Properties and Energy Differences

• I
  • Thread starter KurtLudwig
  • Start date
  • Tags
    False vacuum
In summary, False vacuum is a concept in quantum physics that refers to a local minimum of the potential energy of a quantum field. There is a difference in energy levels between a false and true vacuum, and the laws of the Universe might change if this state transition happened.
KurtLudwig
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
Please explain what a false vacuum is.
Is it a chamber with almost all gases removed? Why is the energy level higher than a true vacuum?

Physics news on Phys.org
KurtLudwig said:
TL;DR Summary: Please explain what a false vacuum is.
Please first give a reference that shows the context in which you encountered the term. I could guess what I think the context is, but you should not be forcing people to guess.

Likes topsquark, vanhees71, Vanadium 50 and 1 other person
I read in a book by professor Katie Mack "The End of Everything (Astrophysically Speaking) in chapter 6 titled Vacuum Decay on page 143. A graph of False Vacuum versus True Vacuum energy levels was shown. Before asking Physics Forums for a more detailed explanation, I did look up on Wikipedia, again with no explanation what False Vacuum actually is.
My questions are: Is False Vacuum a chamber evacuated with almost no molecules of gases? Is it a concept in quantum physics? Why is an there energy level difference between a false and true vacuum? How do physicists know how the field value changes? I read somewhere that space is never totally empty do to quantum fluctuations. Why would the laws of the Universe change if it did happen?

KurtLudwig said:
a book by professor Katie Mack "The End of Everything (Astrophysically Speaking)
This is a pop science book. You would be better served by reading actual textbooks or peer-reviewed papers.

KurtLudwig said:
I did look up on Wikipedia
Did you come across this page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_vacuum_decay

Try reading some of the many scientific papers referenced on that page. That should help to clarify what is being discussed.

KurtLudwig said:
Is False Vacuum a chamber evacuated with almost no molecules of gases?
No.

KurtLudwig said:
Is it a concept in quantum physics?
Yes. It occurs in two main contexts: first, inflation theory (in which the universe during inflation is in a false vacuum state), and second, speculative hypotheses about what might happen to our present universe in the future (involving the speculation that our current universe is in a "false vacuum" state).

The basic underlying idea is that, in quantum field theory, the term "vacuum" doesn't mean "nothing is present at all". It means the lowest energy state possible taking into account all quantum fields that are present and their current states. We usually assume that there is only one such state, but that is not actually true; it is possible in quantum field theory for certain state transitions (for example, the transition at the end of inflation in inflation models) to change what states are accessible and therefore which state is now the lowest energy state possible, the "vacuum" state.

More detail than that requires having a better reference as a basis for discussion.

KurtLudwig said:
Why is an there energy level difference between a false and true vacuum? How do physicists know how the field value changes? I read somewhere that space is never totally empty do to quantum fluctuations. Why would the laws of the Universe change if it did happen?
All of these questions really should be answered by looking at a specific example. I would recommend reading papers about inflation theory first.

Likes pinball1970, KurtLudwig and topsquark
Vacuum in this context means "lowest possible energy", in QFT we still have energy even if there are no particles.

False vacuum means a local minmum of the potential energy of that quantum field. True vacuum means the global minumum.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes Vanadium 50, pinball1970, Bandersnatch and 3 others
Thanks for your explanations.
I will go back to Wikipedia to read False vacuum decay.

KurtLudwig said:
I will go back to Wikipedia to read False vacuum decay.
Not just the Wikipedia article itself but the references, at least some of which are actual peer-reviewed papers.

PeterDonis said:
Not just the Wikipedia article itself but the references, at least some of which are actual peer-reviewed papers.
It is an I-level tag thread, I think reading the actual papers is beyond what an undergrad can cope.

Likes Bandersnatch
malawi_glenn said:
It is an I-level tag thread, I think reading the actual papers is beyond what an undergrad can cope.
The subject itself is more suitable to an "A" level discussion. Looking at the actual papers will at least give the OP a start towards that level of understanding, if desired.

PeterDonis said:
the general topic of why PF's policy regarding pop science sources is what it is
Moderator's note: The subthread on this topic might get spun off into a separate thread.

Likes martinbn

1. What is a false vacuum?

A false vacuum is a hypothetical state of the universe where the energy level is not at its lowest possible state. It is a temporary, unstable state that can eventually transition to a lower energy state, releasing a large amount of energy in the process.

2. How is a false vacuum different from a true vacuum?

A true vacuum is a state where the energy level is at its lowest possible state, while a false vacuum is a higher energy state that is not stable. In a true vacuum, there is no potential for further energy release, while a false vacuum can transition to a lower energy state.

3. What are the properties of a false vacuum?

A false vacuum is characterized by its high energy state and instability. It is also believed to have a large amount of potential energy that can be released during a transition to a lower energy state.

4. How is a false vacuum related to the concept of inflation in the early universe?

Inflation is a theory that explains the rapid expansion of the universe in its early stages. It is believed that this expansion was caused by a false vacuum state, which eventually transitioned to a lower energy state, releasing a large amount of energy and causing the expansion.

5. What are the potential consequences of a false vacuum transition?

If a false vacuum transition were to occur, it could release a large amount of energy, potentially causing drastic changes in the universe. It could also lead to the formation of new particles and structures, altering the fundamental laws of physics.