1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is a good pace to do Math problems?

1. Dec 16, 2011 #1
    What is a good pace to do math problems? I often take so looong to do math, while my peers and friends do it so quickly. However, i think it is because they do the material mindlessly while I actually take the time to read the pages of examples, proofs, history, etc. My peers just skip the pages, and only refer to it when they get stuck while doing the problems. Which approach of doing math is better? Is my approach a waste of time?

What is a decent time for doing math? Is, say, 10-12 problems of related rates problems in 2 hours in Calculus 1 too slow or a decent rate?

Thanks you much!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 16, 2011 #2

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Hi GirlInDoubt! :smile:

Any rate will do.

When you start at new material, it is difficult to keep long at it.
    It's exhausting to absorb the new definitions.
    And it is wise to take a few breaks.

But once you get started with a few problems, that turn out doable, things can accelerate.
    If you get it, you can do a lot of problems in a row.
    That is, until you run into that problem that is too difficult.
    Then it's time for a break again or a night's sleep.

4. Dec 16, 2011 #3
    at your own pace, lol?

5. Dec 16, 2011 #4
    Don't rush yourself. You won't learn anything from just learning how to solve certain problems, you should also understand why your method works. Rushing ahead at a speed figuring out the fastest way to solve problems will only get you so far, a deep understanding is something far more important.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook