What is a good substitute for pumpkin pie spice in a pumpkin dip recipe?

• Thread starter enigma
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cooking
In summary: I omit it from my pumpkin pies and everyone always says I make the best and want the recipe. :biggrin: In summary, the recipe calls for 1/2 tsp of cinnamon, 1/4 tsp of nutmeg, and 1/8 tsp of ground cloves, and 1/8 tsp of ground ginger. Zz. found everything else except for the pumpkin pie spice, which is cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice. Better to buy the store-brand version of the spice and omit the ginger snaps.
Good grief. A student house with 5 bachelors and no one has thought to buy the little measuring spoons.

How much is a typical dinner spoon in tsp?

I feel like such a dope

Physics news on Phys.org
<ZapperZ falls of his chair laughing uncontrollably>

Zz.

enigma said:
Good grief. A student house with 5 bachelors and no one has thought to buy the little measuring spoons.
How much is a typical dinner spoon in tsp?
Um...do you own an actual teaspoon? A teaspoon is, believe it or not, one teaspoon. :biggrin: And a tablespoon (the big spoons) is a tablespoon. Good thing the measurements don't have to be too precise for those spices. The plastic scoop in Lipton iced tea is about 1/4 cup if you need that too (something tells me you're more likely to have Lipton iced tea mix than a proper measuring cup).

Oh, and if you only have tablespoons, that would be equal to 3 teaspoons.

ZapperZ said:
<ZapperZ falls of his chair laughing uncontrollably>

Zz.
You really should do what I do...I lie on the couch while posting so I can't fall off. :smile:

<kicks ZZ while he's on the ground laughing at my expense>

Uh oh, violence. :bugeye:

How's it coming enigma?

I just realized one thing - who's going to tell him how to make a proper pie crust? That is a whole can of worms in itself.

Or maybe he is using <gulp> store-bought pie crust.

Zz.

enigma said:
<kicks ZZ while he's on the ground laughing at my expense>
Careful you don't stab your toe with a Disney pin while doing that. :biggrin:

ZapperZ said:
I just realized one thing - who's going to tell him how to make a proper pie crust? That is a whole can of worms in itself.

Zz.
I think, given the circumstances, store-bought crust is the best anyone eating it could hope for. :biggrin:

Oh, wait, there was no crust...it was a dip for ginger snaps.

ZapperZ said:

Zz.
It's a dip, so he just needs to mix the ingredients together.

I fed it to my roommates first. They have not died yet.

They actually said that they kinda like it, so...

<VICTORY IS MINE>

Thanks for your help, all!

Now I just need to chill it and clean up.

Hooray! :biggrin:

:smile: Right, after this, do you really think enigma is ready to make a homemade pie crust? :smile:

No stick butter, so substitute tub margarine. :-p

He could use the pumkin pie can as a rolling pin, I guess.

enigma said:
I fed it to my roommates first. They have not died yet.
They actually said that they kinda like it, so...
<VICTORY IS MINE>
Thanks for your help, all!
Now I just need to chill it and clean up.
YAY ENIGMA! :approve:

Evo said:
It's a dip, so he just needs to mix the ingredients together.

Oh, I must have missed that. I thought he was actually making a pumpkin pie.

:)

Zz.

Evo said:
He could use the pumkin pie can as a rolling pin, I guess.
Good thing I didn't make that hot chocolate yet...I'd have spit it all over my laptop reading that. :smile: I really do need to write that bachelor's cookbook...one that has instructions for making power drill attachments substitute for an electric beater, or something like that. :smile:

ZapperZ said:
Oh, I must have missed that. I thought he was actually making a pumpkin pie.
Zz.
Nope, but I'm thinking that with a sprinkle of flour and a few eggs, that might make one yummy pumpkin cheesecake!

ZapperZ said:
YES! Try it. Freshly grated nutmeg in hot chocolate makes all the difference. But here's another secret. I also add a fat pinch of paprika or cayene pepper for that slight kick. I also use a molinillo to froth up the hot chocolate. So you'd get a hot, frothy cup - very traditional mexican.

http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/Images/molinillol_oldsm.jpg

Zz.

Do you use the real mexican chocolate like Ibarra for that? I picked some up for mole and it's pretty good for hot chocolate as well. Its already got the cinnamon in it and seems sweeter bar chocolates. I also like chiles and chocolate, toss a can of green chiles and/or jalapenos in your next batch of brownies, it really works.

Last edited by a moderator:
Moonbear said:
Good thing I didn't make that hot chocolate yet...I'd have spit it all over my laptop reading that. :smile: I really do need to write that bachelor's cookbook...one that has instructions for making power drill attachments substitute for an electric beater, or something like that. :smile:
My first thought was of him putting it on the driveway and backing the car over it. Or sitting on it.

Moonbear said:
Nope, but I'm thinking that with a sprinkle of flour and a few eggs, that might make one yummy pumpkin cheesecake!
I first I thought it was cheesecake. Probably someone was supposed to bring desert into the office and was planning to bake a cheesecake, forgot, so brought it in unbaked and called it a dip. :-p

DocToxyn said:
Do you use the real mexican chocolate like Ibarra for that? I picked some up for mole and it's pretty good for hot chocolate as well. Its already got the cinnamon in it and seems sweeter bar chocolates. I also like chiles and chocolate, toss a can of green chiles and/or jalapenos in your next batch of brownies, it really works.

I have Ibarra, but I didn't quite like the flavor (it already has the spices added to the chocolate rounds). Instead, I use Droste cocoa powder, which is basically Dutch chocolate (they make the best cocoa powder in my book). I'll challenge anyone on a taste test comparing Droste and, let's say, Hershey's cocoa powder. There's no comparison.

And yes, I have been known to put jalapenos in my brownies. Unfortunately, not many of my friends like it. But here's a secret. If you chop it up in small pieces and add it to a bread pudding recipe, these very same people will start licking the bowl! (Of course, the rum sauce that goes along with it may have something to do with this phenomenon).

Zz.

Here are my thoughts for the spices additions. Cardamon would match well with the other earthy cinnamon and nutmeg flavors. You could also go to the Indian side and toss in some garam masala (which is really a mixture of most of the mentioned spices but also has some other nice tones, depending on the recipe). The last alternative would be Asian with a 5 spice blend, you have to like anise flavor, but I think it could work. Of course, these are all from whole spices and not preground, yes it is pretentious, but also better.:approve:

ZapperZ said:
I have Ibarra, but I didn't quite like the flavor (it already has the spices added to the chocolate rounds). Instead, I use Droste cocoa powder, which is basically Dutch chocolate (they make the best cocoa powder in my book). I'll challenge anyone on a taste test comparing Droste and, let's say, Hershey's cocoa powder. There's no comparison.

And yes, I have been known to put jalapenos in my brownies. Unfortunately, not many of my friends like it. But here's a secret. If you chop it up in small pieces and add it to a bread pudding recipe, these very same people will start licking the bowl! (Of course, the rum sauce that goes along with it may have something to do with this phenomenon).

Zz.
I definitely need to visit you for dinner sometime! Yummy! :approve:

Yep. A gourmet chef, I am not.

I can install a kitchen sink, wire up a light fixture, hang a picture (straight), build shelving, fix leaky bathtubs and toilets... oh... and design rockets.

Put me in the kitchen and I'm like a six year old.

enigma said:
I can install a kitchen sink, wire up a light fixture, hang a picture (straight), build shelving, fix leaky bathtubs and toilets... oh... and design rockets.
well, you succeeded against all odds tonight. You can be proud. :approve:

ZapperZ said:

Zz.

Yes, the feel of the Ibarra was a little weak and I typically use Ghirardelli cocoa for the real heady hot chocolate. I'll have to look around for the Droste. Am I right in assuming there is some sort of dairy in that rum sauce? It's hard to go wrong with hot dairy and liquor drizzled over...well... anything.

DocToxyn said:
Yes, the feel of the Ibarra was a little weak and I typically use Ghirardelli cocoa for the real heady hot chocolate. I'll have to look around for the Droste. Am I right in assuming there is some sort of dairy in that rum sauce? It's hard to go wrong with hot dairy and liquor drizzled over...well... anything.

Er.. do you really want to know? OK then... The rum sauce has melted butter, brown sugar, rum, and heavy cream. All the good stuff! I added a personal touch to the original recipe by adding pure vanilla extract to it (not the one dissolved in alcohol). That seems to make a difference.

Zz.

enigma said:
That's okay, we're nominating Zz an DocToxyn to do the cooking at the next PF gathering! :biggrin: They're making me hungry!

Oooh, I'm sitting here now with my hot cocoa with cinnamon and nutmeg. :biggrin: :smile: :!) Yummy! Now I know how you can survive Chicago winters. I've got my fireplace lit and my cocoa, and just yum.

Moonbear said:
Oooh, I'm sitting here now with my hot cocoa with cinnamon and nutmeg. :biggrin: :smile: :!) Yummy! Now I know how you can survive Chicago winters. I've got my fireplace lit and my cocoa, and just yum.

See? I told you that nutmeg can make a difference...

Er.. Fireplace? It's that cold already? Speaking of which, I need to stock up on firewood before winter arrives...

Zz.

There should be a cookie guru badge thing :P

ZapperZ said:
See? I told you that nutmeg can make a difference...
Er.. Fireplace? It's that cold already? Speaking of which, I need to stock up on firewood before winter arrives...
Zz.
Nah, not really that cold yet...but it was a gloomy, slightly chilly day and a slightly chilly night. It's a gas fireplace (I know, it's cheating) so I can just turn it on for a little while, warm up the room and turn it off. I kind of like this, because it keeps me warm in the living room, but then my bedroom stays cool so I can pile on the blankets and sleep well. Sipping hot cocoa with the fireplace on and the lights dimmed...would seem very romantic if I had someone to snuggle up with.

I actually had this dip before. It is quite good. i think i am going to make a pumpkin pie this weekend. I love making a pumpkin pie from a real pumpkin it tastes so much different than what you are used to.

This has me craving pumpkin pie too. I don't have all the ingredients though...my recipe requires cream.

Y'know, Moonbie, ever since we had this conversation, everytime I make my hot chocolate, I keep thinking of you. You have invaded my subconscious thingy. How'd you managed to do that?

But then again, everytime I make or have a pumpkin pie, I'd probably be thinking of enigma.

Zz.