What is a parsec and how is it measured?

• B
  • Thread starter dnl117
  • Start date
  • Tags
    #physics
In summary, the parsec is the distance from which the mean radius of the earth's orbit (= 1 AU, astronomical unit), i.e. the mean distance between the sun and the earth, appears at an angle of one arc second.
dnl117
TL;DR Summary
I'm quite the amateur and i couldn't find my answer in the web so maybe someone here could help me with understanding of parsecs
So i was trying to find out what parsec actually is, but i just can't understand one thing, which is what is the object parallax is measured from? Like i know it's the star A being compared to background made of even further stars B, but because if the object (star A) were to be closer or further away from earth wouldn't it change the angle and therefore the parallax? So how did they come up with the one exact distance of parsec? P.S. English isn't my first language so sorry for hard read 🤠

Astronomy news on Phys.org
If the star is exactly one parsec away, it wobbles back and forth 1 arcsecond in each direction from the middle. If a star is closer, the parallax is more, and it is less if the star is further away.
So sin(1 arcsecond) is 1 AU/1 parsec

Likes vanhees71, dnl117 and hutchphd
It is the distance from which the mean radius of the earth's orbit (= 1 AU, astronomical unit), i.e. the mean distance between the sun and the earth, appears at an angle of one arc second, and corresponds to around 206,265 astronomical units or around 3.26 light-years or about 30.9 trillion kilometers; ##3.0857\cdot 10^{16}\,\operatorname{m}.##

Likes FactChecker, dnl117 and hutchphd
dnl117 said:
i couldn't find my answer in the web
??? --- I find that astounding, since a simple web search of "what is a parsec" gives exactly the answer already given above.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parsec

Likes PeroK and dnl117
phinds said:
??? --- I find that astounding, since a simple web search of "what is a parsec" gives exactly the answer already given above.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parsec
Yeahh, i should've just gone with it, but instead i asked wrong question in Google and it gave me unclear answer which pointed me in the wrong direction and completely made me misunderstand the topic.

Because the Earth's orbit is an ellipse, not a circle, a "parallax of one arc-second" is not adequately defined. So a parsec is now defined as exactly 96939420213600000/π meters.

The more interesting question is "what is a light year" which is now defined as 1/3.26 of a parsec. That is the distance light travels in 1.0005 years.

Likes FactChecker
Vanadium 50 said:
That is the distance light travels in 1.0005 years.
Oops. We should probably rename it a light year-ish... :wink:

Likes Vanadium 50 and phinds
berkeman said:
Oops. We should probably rename it a light year-ish... :wink:
Year itself isn't well-defined so it's automatically already -ish.

Likes sophiecentaur, Vanadium 50 and berkeman

1. What is a parsec?

A parsec is a unit of measurement used in astronomy to describe distances on an interstellar scale. It is equivalent to 3.26 light years or approximately 19 trillion miles.

2. How is a parsec defined?

A parsec is defined as the distance at which an object would have a parallax angle of one arcsecond when observed from opposite ends of Earth's orbit around the sun.

3. How is a parsec different from a light year?

A parsec and a light year are both units of measurement for distance, but they are used for different scales. A light year is the distance that light travels in one year, while a parsec is used to describe much larger distances between stars and galaxies.

4. How is a parsec measured?

A parsec is measured using the parallax method, which involves observing an object from two different points in Earth's orbit around the sun. The distance to the object can then be calculated using trigonometry and the known distance between the two observation points.

5. Why is a parsec a useful unit of measurement in astronomy?

A parsec is a useful unit of measurement in astronomy because it allows for more precise and accurate measurements of extremely large distances. It also provides a convenient scale for measuring distances between stars and galaxies, which would be too vast to measure in units like kilometers or miles.