What is a recommended book for an introduction to Cosmology and Astronomy?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Oscar Wilde
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Intro
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
Oscar Wilde
Messages
48
Reaction score
0
I'm looking for a book that can introduce me to the essentials in regards to Cosmology, Astronomy, and perhaps even Astrophysics. I don't necessarily want a book that is "cutting edge" or junk science. I am looking for an introduction to an understanding of space-time, general relativity, and light (its properties, how gravity affects it).

Please respond with any ideas of books that would be helpful

Thanks :)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If you want something at the undergraduate level then I would certainly recommend Introduction to Modern Astrophysics by Carroll and Ostlie, which covers in fairly good detail just about everything you could want to know in cosmology, astrophysics and astronomy.
 
I just bought that book because of this thread, thanks nicksauce seems very good!
 
For a reasonable introduction to Cosmology check out:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0470848359/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Provides a nice overview of some of the basics in cosmology without resorting to General Relativity. (A few results derived from G.R. are presented such as the Robertson-Walker metric.)

Liddle mentions in the preface that it's aimed at final year Bachelors students (3rd Year) but with an emphasis on physical tuition and not mathematical rigour which for me makes the book much more accessible (although I think I'd love to have more mathematical rigour!)
 
Last edited by a moderator: