What is a "Space-Time Crystal"?

• I
  • Thread starter dvdt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Crystal
In summary, these papers show that it is in fact possible to create oscillating systems that have a ground state that is not the lowest energy state.
dvdt
I know what the definition is, but the concept it's conjuring for me seems in my experience of learning about these things, to indicate that I'm missing the point completely. What does it mean for something to be oscillating when it's in a ground state? I was under the impression that such a thing is impossible unless there's some external thermodynamic input. Is this a hypothetical structure that is believed *not* to exist, but is interesting as a thought experiment?

Naively it sounds like a PPM, which is why I assume that I must be missing quite a bit.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I just read the presentation by Wilczek cited in Wikipedia:
http://www.ctc.cam.ac.uk/stephen70/talks/swh70_wilczek.pdf

A general feature of broken symmetry states (which Wilczek doens't mention) is that the generator of the broken symmetry - i.e. the Hamiltonian in our case -
can't be represented as an operator in the Hilbert space any more. For infinite systems, whether time translation symmetry is broken or not, this is the generic case. E.g. a gas of atoms of which a given fraction is in an excited state has infinite energy relative to the ground state. Hence the hamiltonian is not a well defined operator.
So we can't rely on any proof that the hamiltonian has only non-degenerate ground states simply because the Hamiltonian does not exist.

Edit: I just found this article which elaborates on the comment I made:
https://arxiv.org/pdf/1605.04188v1.pdf

Last edited:
DrDu said:
I just read the presentation by Wilczek cited in Wikipedia:
http://www.ctc.cam.ac.uk/stephen70/talks/swh70_wilczek.pdf

A general feature of broken symmetry states (which Wilczek doens't mention) is that the generator of the broken symmetry - i.e. the Hamiltonian in our case -
can't be represented as an operator in the Hilbert space any more. For infinite systems, whether time translation symmetry is broken or not, this is the generic case. E.g. a gas of atoms of which a given fraction is in an excited state has infinite energy relative to the ground state. Hence the hamiltonian is not a well defined operator.
So we can't rely on any proof that the hamiltonian has only non-degenerate ground states simply because the Hamiltonian does not exist.

Edit: I just found this article which elaborates on the comment I made:
https://arxiv.org/pdf/1605.04188v1.pdf

Thanks for the explanation, and the links!

1. What is a "Space-Time Crystal"?

A "Space-Time Crystal" is a type of matter that has a repeating pattern in both space and time. It is a special type of crystal that has a structure that repeats not only in space, but also in time, meaning it has a regular pattern that changes over time. This unique property makes it different from traditional crystals, which only have a repeating structure in space.

2. How is a "Space-Time Crystal" different from a regular crystal?

A "Space-Time Crystal" is different from a regular crystal in that it has a repeating pattern in both space and time, while a regular crystal only has a repeating pattern in space. This means that the structure of a "Space-Time Crystal" is constantly changing, while a regular crystal's structure remains the same.

3. What is the significance of a "Space-Time Crystal"?

The significance of a "Space-Time Crystal" lies in its unique properties and potential applications. It is a new form of matter that has the ability to maintain a regular pattern in time, which could have implications for quantum computing, timekeeping, and even understanding the fundamental nature of the universe.

4. How are "Space-Time Crystals" created?

Currently, "Space-Time Crystals" are created in laboratory settings using specialized equipment and techniques. Scientists use lasers to trap atoms in a specific pattern and then apply an external force to periodically flip the spin of the atoms, creating the time component of the crystal. This process is repeated to create the repeating pattern in both space and time.

5. Are there natural occurrences of "Space-Time Crystals"?

As of now, there have been no confirmed observations of natural "Space-Time Crystals". However, some scientists believe that certain systems in nature, such as quantum systems or even the universe itself, may exhibit properties similar to that of "Space-Time Crystals". Further research and observations are needed to confirm this theory.