What is an encoding for Q x Q and how is it related to Cantor's zig-zag method?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter toxi
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
toxi
Messages
12
Reaction score
0
I know this would probably be in a different category but I wasn't sure.

Find an encoding for Q x Q.

I have no idea what to do for this question was we weren't even taught encodings.

any help is appreciated
thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, the first thing you need to do is find a definition for "encoding"- especially an encoding for a set of numbers. I suspect that such an encoding would be just a listing of the the rational numbers: 1- r1, 2- r2, etc. Have you seen the proof that the set of rational numbers is countable?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, according to my notes an encoding is "a total injective function C: A->N into the natural numbers. For a in A, the number c(a) is called the code of A"

I think I've seen the proof you're talking about, its the one done by Cantor's diagonalization right ?
 
No, "Cantor's Diagonalization" is a proof that the set of all real numbers is not countable. I was thinking of the proof where we right the positive integers along the top of a chart, another copy of the integers vertically along the left and, where n along the top meets m along the left, write the fraction m/n. Now "zigzag" through that chart. To extend it to QxQ, write the positive integers along the top, the positive integers along the left and, where column m and row n intersect, write (rm, rn[/b]) where rn is the rational number "encoded" by m and rn is the rational number "encoded" by n. Now zigzag through that.
 
HallsofIvy said:
No, "Cantor's Diagonalization" is a proof that the set of all real numbers is not countable. I was thinking of the proof where we right the positive integers along the top of a chart, another copy of the integers vertically along the left and, where n along the top meets m along the left, write the fraction m/n. Now "zigzag" through that chart. To extend it to QxQ, write the positive integers along the top, the positive integers along the left and, where column m and row n intersect, write (rm, rn[/b]) where rn is the rational number "encoded" by m and rn is the rational number "encoded" by n. Now zigzag through that.


Apparently that's Cantor's zig-zag (which is the one I meant to say in the previous post)
Anyway, I found this on the internet
http://www.homeschoolmath.net/teaching/rational-numbers-countable.php

Do you mean that for instance (r4, r4) or 5,6,7 whatever number it is, is the encoding I've been looking for ?
 
toxi said:
Apparently that's Cantor's zig-zag (which is the one I meant to say in the previous post)
Anyway, I found this on the internet
http://www.homeschoolmath.net/teaching/rational-numbers-countable.php

Do you mean that for instance (r4, r4) or 5,6,7 whatever number it is, is the encoding I've been looking for ?
First, I don't know what you mean by "(r4, r4)". Is there any significance that the both rs have subscript 4? Second, you were the one who told me "Yeah, according to my notes an encoding is "a total injective function C: A->N into the natural numbers. For a in A, the number c(a) is called the code of A". If I understand what you are saying correctly, yes, that is the "encoding".