What is considered a "mathematician"?

In summary, the community has varying opinions on what qualifies one to be called a "mathematician". Some believe that advanced study and research in mathematics, as well as publication in peer-reviewed journals, are necessary credentials. Others argue that simply being employed as a mathematician and producing significant contributions to the field should suffice. Some also consider a serious interest and pursuit of mathematics beyond the undergraduate level as a qualifying factor. Ultimately, the label of "mathematician" is subjective and can vary based on individual perspectives.

What qualifies one to be a "mathematician"?

• Studies math as a hobby

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • Has a bachelor's or equivalent in Mathematics

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Has a Master's or equivalent in Mathematics

• Has a PhD or equivalent in Mathematics

Votes: 8 50.0%
  • Has a PhD in another field but has done published research in mathematical problems

• Is a tenured professor in Mathematics

• Total voters
zoobyshoe said:
...but anyone can label himself an artist, which is simply to claim you produce art works. Calling yourself a mathematician would be the same, implying only some way above average interest in Math, not any greatness.
IMO, such labels imply much more than just "interest". They impliy competencce. Perhaps in the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter for artists or mathematicians, but that's really only because it is tough to kill anyone with poorly executed artwork. That's why for some professions and contexts, such as "engineer" and "doctor", the label can only be legally applied after strict demonstration of competencce.

Likes symbolipoint
Physics news on Phys.org
russ_watters said:
IMO, such labels imply much more than just "interest".
I didn't say you could call yourself an artist by virtue of interest in art. I said you could call yourself an artist by virtue of producing artworks. Your art could suck bananas, you could be the worst artist in the world, but the label would still be accurate, simply because you produce artworks. This is true of many labels. You can call yourself a handyman, a gardener, a farmer, a shopkeeper, a cook, a mechanic, a salesman, and so on, without that label implying anything about how good you are at it.

For someone to call themselves a mathematician, I would only assume a much above average interest in math on their part, and I would assume they were competent to understand what was interesting them, just because it would be really odd for anyone to sustain interest in something they couldn't even understand. I would not require that person to be a particularly eminent mathematician simply to call himself one.

They impliy competencce. Perhaps in the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter for artists or mathematicians, but that's really only because it is tough to kill anyone with poorly executed artwork. That's why for some professions and contexts, such as "engineer" and "doctor", the label can only be legally applied after strict demonstration of competencce.
Here, too, though, the vetting process is a kind of tentative approval and the person so labeled can go astray. Tesla had a legitimate education in EE, but eventually his sanity slipped and he claimed he'd figured out a death ray, and other whacky stuff. Doctors and nurses get addicted to drugs and start making incompetent decisions. (At least 1 in 14 physicians develops a drug problem: http://www.turner-white.com/pdf/hp_jul03_know.pdf Feynman has that story about the engineers who were running all kinds of tests to figure out why their thing was whistling (he took one look inside and saw they had a sharp edge facing right into the air flow). Couple weeks ago I read about a doctor convicted of sexually abusing his female patients. Legal requirements for calling yourself a doctor or engineer only reduce problems. They don't eliminate them.

I think PhD is only used to certify one's completion of a math program. His thesis narrows his research effort into ONE single area. I would like to get at least 5 PhDs in science and technology but then what do you I think I become ?
If you have interest in maths, then show us what math related stuff you worked and are working on. The effort is worthier to say who you are instead.
I am thinking about categorizing people interested in maths into groups and subgroups of different levels.
post PhD: super mathematician
PhD: level 1
Master: level 2
etc

Last edited:
In my personal opinion on this question, I make a distinction between four categories: "mathematician", "mathematical scientist", "math teacher" and "math enthusiast".

A mathematician, in this sense, is someone who works specifically in the development of the field of mathematics (this definition would tend to be restricted to those in academia or in research labs like Google Labs, Microsoft Research, or Bell Labs).

A mathematical scientist (or a "mathematical worker", for lack of better terms) are those who work in fields that actively and extensively use the knowledge built out of mathematics research but may not contribute directly to the field of mathematics itself. This category could include statisticians, actuaries, operations researchers, many physicists, many economists, some computer scientists (particularly those with a theoretical bent), and some engineers.

A math teacher, as I define it, is someone whose role is primary to teach math at the elementary, secondary, and tertiary level, but may or may not be actively involved in the development of mathematics.

A math enthusiast (or "math lover" again for lack of better terms) are those who primarily have an amateur interest in various areas of mathematics, particularly in recreational mathematics.

Please note that these categories are not mutually exclusive (e.g. a professional mathematician may for example, work as a mathematical scientist when working in consulting projects for industry)

Likes Math10
I agree with StatGuy2000.