What is different between "holds" and "holds true"?

• Thread starter bacte2013
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the terms "holds" and "holds true" when making a claim about a statement holding for some numbers in a set. The participants conclude that the two terms have the same meaning and do not leave any possibility for the statement to not be true for all numbers in the set. They also mention the use of quantifiers and proper phrasing to explicitly express which members of a set satisfy a certain property.
bacte2013
Hello!

I am currently studying the analysis, and I have a quick question. Whenever i claim (in proof) that a statement P holds for some x in R, can I assume that P holds true for some arbitrary numbers in R but not for all possible numbers in R? What is a difference between the terms "holds" and "holds true"? I know this is a subtle problem, but I am actually quite confused about it.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I have never come across any distinction between 'holds' and 'holds true'. They are both just ways of saying 'it is the case'.

andrewkirk said:
I have never come across any distinction between 'holds' and 'holds true'. They are both just ways of saying 'it is the case'.

Does that mean "theorem holds for all x in R" and "theorem hold true for all x in R" are the same? Does the word "hold" contain any possibility of leaving a possibility of a theorem to be not true for all X in R, while "holds true" definitely assume the truth of the theorem?

bacte2013 said:
Does that mean "theorem holds for all x in R" and "theorem hold true for all x in R" are the same?
Yes.

Does the word "hold" contain any possibility of leaving a possibility of a theorem to be not true for all X in R, while "holds true" definitely assume the truth of the theorem?
No. The two phrasings mean exactly the same thing.

bacte2013 said:
Does that mean "theorem holds for all x in R" and "theorem hold true for all x in R" are the same? Does the word "hold" contain any possibility of leaving a possibility of a theorem to be not true for all X in R, while "holds true" definitely assume the truth of the theorem?
HallsofIvy said:
Yes.No. The two phrasings mean exactly the same thing.

Thanks! Recently, I have been very nervous about the use of grammars.

"Holds" and "Holds true", is definitely the same as said. Whatever has to be expressed about which members of a set satisfy a particular property, is done so explicitly using quantifiers or proper phrasing.

1. What is the difference between "holds" and "holds true"?

The main difference between "holds" and "holds true" is that "holds" is a verb, while "holds true" is a phrase that functions as an adverb. "Holds" means to have or maintain a grip on something, while "holds true" means to remain valid or accurate.

2. Can "holds" and "holds true" be used interchangeably?

No, "holds" and "holds true" cannot be used interchangeably. "Holds" is used to describe physical or literal holding, while "holds true" is used to describe the validity or accuracy of a statement or belief.

3. Is there a difference in connotation between "holds" and "holds true"?

Yes, there is a difference in connotation between "holds" and "holds true." "Holds" can imply a physical or tangible hold, while "holds true" implies a more abstract or conceptual truth.

4. Can "holds true" be used to describe a physical hold?

No, "holds true" cannot be used to describe a physical hold. It is only used to describe the validity or accuracy of a statement or belief.

5. How is the meaning of "holds" and "holds true" affected by context?

The meaning of "holds" and "holds true" can be affected by the context in which they are used. In a scientific or academic context, "holds true" may carry more weight and imply a stronger sense of truth or evidence. In a casual conversation, "holds" may be used more loosely to describe any type of hold or grip.