What is different between "holds" and "holds true"?

Hello!

I am currently studying the analysis, and I have a quick question. Whenever i claim (in proof) that a statement P holds for some x in R, can I assume that P holds true for some arbitrary numbers in R but not for all possible numbers in R? What is a difference between the terms "holds" and "holds true"? I know this is a subtle problem, but I am actually quite confused about it.

Answers and Replies

andrewkirk
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
I have never come across any distinction between 'holds' and 'holds true'. They are both just ways of saying 'it is the case'.

I have never come across any distinction between 'holds' and 'holds true'. They are both just ways of saying 'it is the case'.
Does that mean "theorem holds for all x in R" and "theorem hold true for all x in R" are the same? Does the word "hold" contain any possibility of leaving a possibility of a theorem to be not true for all X in R, while "holds true" definitely assume the truth of the theorem?

HallsofIvy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Does that mean "theorem holds for all x in R" and "theorem hold true for all x in R" are the same?
Yes.

Does the word "hold" contain any possibility of leaving a possibility of a theorem to be not true for all X in R, while "holds true" definitely assume the truth of the theorem?
No. The two phrasings mean exactly the same thing.

Does that mean "theorem holds for all x in R" and "theorem hold true for all x in R" are the same? Does the word "hold" contain any possibility of leaving a possibility of a theorem to be not true for all X in R, while "holds true" definitely assume the truth of the theorem?
Yes.

No. The two phrasings mean exactly the same thing.
Thanks! Recently, I have been very nervous about the use of grammars.

QuantumQuest
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
"Holds" and "Holds true", is definitely the same as said. Whatever has to be expressed about which members of a set satisfy a particular property, is done so explicitly using quantifiers or proper phrasing.