1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is different between "holds" and "holds true"?

Tags:
  1. Dec 11, 2015 #1
    Hello!

I am currently studying the analysis, and I have a quick question. Whenever i claim (in proof) that a statement P holds for some x in R, can I assume that P holds true for some arbitrary numbers in R but not for all possible numbers in R? What is a difference between the terms "holds" and "holds true"? I know this is a subtle problem, but I am actually quite confused about it.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2015 #2

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I have never come across any distinction between 'holds' and 'holds true'. They are both just ways of saying 'it is the case'.

4. Dec 14, 2015 #3
    Does that mean "theorem holds for all x in R" and "theorem hold true for all x in R" are the same? Does the word "hold" contain any possibility of leaving a possibility of a theorem to be not true for all X in R, while "holds true" definitely assume the truth of the theorem?

5. Dec 14, 2015 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes.

No. The two phrasings mean exactly the same thing.

6. Dec 14, 2015 #5
    Thanks! Recently, I have been very nervous about the use of grammars.

7. Dec 14, 2015 #6

QuantumQuest

Gold Member

"Holds" and "Holds true", is definitely the same as said. Whatever has to be expressed about which members of a set satisfy a particular property, is done so explicitly using quantifiers or proper phrasing.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook