What is fx(0,1) in Partial Differentiation for f(x,y)=2e^(x^2y)?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
Mitchtwitchita
Messages
187
Reaction score
0
f(x,y)=2e^(x^2y), then fx(0,1) = ?

fx = 4xye^(x^2y)
=4(0)(1)e^(0)(1)
=e^0
=1?

I'm told that I'm getting this question wrong but don't know how. Can anybody please help show me what I'm doing wrong on this one?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You are doing partial differentiation with respect to x, so you can treat y as a constant.

It's just simply using the chain rule and [itex](e^x)' = e^x[/itex].

If you do that correctly you should get up to [itex]2 \cdot ( 2y \cdot x^{2y-1} ) \exp (x^{2y})[/itex].

The x term is a nice fat zero, giving the final result of 0.
 
Mitchtwitchita said:
f(x,y)=2e^(x^2y), then fx(0,1) = ?

fx = 4xye^(x^2y)
=4(0)(1)e^(0)(1)
=e^0
=1?

I'm told that I'm getting this question wrong but don't know how. Can anybody please help show me what I'm doing wrong on this one?
Is that
[tex]2e^{x^{2y}}[/tex]
as Gib Z assumed or
[tex]2e^{x^2y}[/tex]
which is what I would assume?
If it is the latter then
[tex]f_x= 4xye^{x^2y}[/tex]
as you have. Then [itex]f_x(0,1)= 4(0)(1)e^{(0)(1)}= 0[/itex], not 1, because of the "0" multiplying the exponential.
 
Damn i just realized that :( Looking at his working it looks like you're right Halls =] Sorry guys.
 
It was the latter. But I realized what I was doing wrong from Gib's reply. Thanks guys!