What is generating functional and vacuum-to-vacuum boundary conditions in QFT?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 4K views
VietBrian
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Hello everyone :) I'm reading the book QFT - L. H. Ryder, and I don't understand clearly what are the generating functional Z[J] and vacuum-to-vacuum boundary conditions? Help me, please >"<
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know that book, but if it is an introduction to QFT, it should definitely explain those terms. The generating functional is given by

[itex]Z \left[ J \right]=<0|0>[/itex],

which can be expressed in terms of a path integral. It is called "generating" functional because you can apply functional derivatives with respect to J on it in order to gain vacuum expectation values for operators. What they mean by vacuum-to-vacuum boundary conditions could depend on the context, but it is probably the normalization

[itex]Z \left[ 0 \right]=0[/itex].
 
Thank you very much! ^^

I had carefully read the book again. The vacuum-to-vacuum boundary conditions turned out to be [itex]\psi(t_i) = \psi_i[/itex] and [itex]\psi(t_f) = \psi_f[/itex].

:D And, are the operators you talk about above the field operators?
[itex]\dfrac{\delta Z[J]}{\delta J(t_1)\ldots \delta J(t_n)} = i^n \bra 0 \lvert T(q(t_1)\ldots q(t_n)) \rvert 0 \ket[/itex]
 
[itex]Z \left[ 0 \right]=0[/itex]

It's meant to be
[itex]Z \left[ 0 \right]=1[/itex],
sorry!
 
Does it mean vacuum is still vacuum if there is no source ?