1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineering What is it like to become a genetic engineer?

1. Mar 13, 2016 #1
    What are the career prospects and are genetic engineers suitable for finding cure for diseases ? What is the greatest risk involved in being a genetic engineer and what are the advantages ?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2016 #2

ProfuselyQuarky

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I am no expert, but I've been told that the prospects of becoming a genetic engineer is really good (there was a time when I wanted to become a geneticist). Genetic engineers (obviously) study genetic material and DNA, which is pretty big considering that there are all those controversial issues with cloning, GMOs, and whatnot. However, the field is pretty diverse and you can work with a bunch of things including plants, animals, and microorganisms. I guess you could find cures for diseases in that field, too. Are there any risks in going into genetic engineering? I'm not so sure if you mean physically or career-wise. You have to deal with the basic lab materials, but that's nothing special.

4. Mar 21, 2016 #3

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted