What is mass? and is negative matter really possible

In summary, mass is a fundamental property of matter that affects an object's resistance to acceleration. There is a negative form of mass that is known as effective mass and it can be used to create oppositely directed forces. There is no evidence that negative mass exists and it would require new theories to support its existence.
anj16
what is mass? and is negative matter really possible

i wasnt sure if i should post it in this forum or not but i thought the second part of the title refers to particle physics so i posted this here.

so as the title suggests i was wondering what is mass. i have heard answeres like it is a property of matter, etc, etc. But i am still not convinced as to what mass really is. i was hoping someone here would be able to give me a convincing answer.

and my second question :
can negative matter really exist when looking at the "there elementry particles" and there properties in this sort of universe?
p.s. please do not confuse negative matter with antimatter as a lot of people does.

i am hoping for some good convincing answeres :smile:
thnx

Physics news on Phys.org

Mass is a fundamental property of matter. It is what causes an object to resist acceleration. Hit up wikipedia and search for mass to see more info on this. Also, do NOT think that science simply "doesn't know what mass is". We know exactly what it is. What we don't know is the exact process that causes it. That is one reason we are searching for the Higgs particle.

For your 2nd question, there is no evidence that negative mass exists and no reason to believe that it might.

To answer "is negative matter really possible?" you would first have to define what you mean by negative matter.

so drakkith y would a body want to resist acceleration anywayz if there is no opposing force??
for instance let's say there is a spaceship in space and if u fire the ion engine it will just move in a particular direction, and there is no gravity in space so there is no force opposing or holding the spaceship back so why would it resist acceleration?

In order to accelerate it you first need to apply a force and mass can be a measure of how much it can resist that force i.e. F = ma.

Sorry, I think I explained it incorrectly. Mass causes an object to accelerate less when a force is applied. IE something with more mass accelerates less than a less massive object does when an equal force is applied to both.

There is a property, known as effective mass, that can be postive or negative.

When it is negative a Force does indeed accelerate the effective mass in the opposite direction to positive mass. This can be seen in the Hall effect in semiconductors.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effective_mass_(solid-state_physics )

Last edited by a moderator:

Mass is how heavy something is without gravity.Another way of describing mass is:Mass is how much matter an object has. Mass is measured in grams (g) or kilograms (kg)

Now none of the theories include negative mass so if negative mass exists, there must be new theories.who cares.Let's wait for it.

What is mass?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object. It is often confused with weight, but they are not the same. Mass is a constant property of an object, while weight can vary depending on the gravitational force acting on the object.

What are the units of mass?

The SI unit of mass is kilogram (kg). Other commonly used units include grams (g) and metric tons (t).

How is mass different from volume?

Mass and volume are two different properties of matter. Mass refers to the amount of matter in an object, while volume refers to the amount of space that an object takes up. Mass is usually measured in units of mass (kg, g, t), while volume is measured in units of length (m, cm, ft).

Is negative matter really possible?

Negative matter, also known as exotic matter, is a hypothetical form of matter that has negative mass. While there is no conclusive evidence that negative matter exists, some theories in physics suggest that it is possible. However, it is still a topic of ongoing research and has not been observed or created in a laboratory setting.

What are the implications of negative matter if it does exist?

If negative matter exists, it would have some interesting properties, such as repelling all other matter and potentially allowing for faster-than-light travel. However, it would also challenge our current understanding of physics and the laws of thermodynamics. More research and evidence are needed before we can fully understand the implications of negative matter.