Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is Partial Gamma-production?

1. Sep 26, 2012 #1
    Hi

I am currently looking at some literature for the production of different radioactive nuclei under the bombardment of protons on Copper. I found something called partial γ-ray production cross-sections and I am wondering what this means. I know that cross-sections generally describe the probability of a nuclear reaction occurring but I don't fully understand this concept. Can you help me?

Regards

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2012 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Looking at that publication, I think it is a description for all "n+nucleus -> nucleus + n + gamma + whatever" processes.

4. Sep 26, 2012 #3
    So it describes the probability that a nuclear reaction will produce a prompt gamma with a certain energy or is it any prompt gamma in general?

Example:
    65Cu(p,n+γ(E=1200keV))65Zn - the partial γ-ray production cross-sections will thus describe the probability for this γ with this particular energy being emitted? Or does it describe the total gamma radiation from this transition?

5. Sep 26, 2012 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

If the energy is given like that, the number should correspond to photons with that energy.
    Your process gives photons with well-defined energy.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook