What is Partial Gamma-production?

• Thread starter SwordSmith
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Partial
In summary, the conversation is about the production of radioactive nuclei through the bombardment of protons on Copper. The speaker is curious about the concept of partial γ-ray production cross-sections, which describes the probability of a nuclear reaction producing a prompt gamma with a specific energy. The speaker is also unsure if this applies to all prompt gammas or just a specific energy level.
SwordSmith
Hi

I am currently looking at some literature for the production of different radioactive nuclei under the bombardment of protons on Copper. I found something called partial γ-ray production cross-sections and I am wondering what this means. I know that cross-sections generally describe the probability of a nuclear reaction occurring but I don't fully understand this concept. Can you help me?

Regards

Physics news on Phys.org
Looking at that publication, I think it is a description for all "n+nucleus -> nucleus + n + gamma + whatever" processes.

So it describes the probability that a nuclear reaction will produce a prompt gamma with a certain energy or is it any prompt gamma in general?

Example:
65Cu(p,n+γ(E=1200keV))65Zn - the partial γ-ray production cross-sections will thus describe the probability for this γ with this particular energy being emitted? Or does it describe the total gamma radiation from this transition?

If the energy is given like that, the number should correspond to photons with that energy.
Your process gives photons with well-defined energy.

1. What is Partial Gamma-production?

Partial Gamma-production is a process in which a nucleus emits a gamma ray, but only a portion of the energy is transferred to the gamma ray. This can happen when the nucleus is in an excited state and decays to a lower energy state, releasing the remaining energy as a gamma ray.

2. How is Partial Gamma-production different from full Gamma-production?

In full Gamma-production, the entire energy of the excited nucleus is transferred to the gamma ray, resulting in a higher energy gamma ray. In partial Gamma-production, only a portion of the energy is transferred, resulting in a lower energy gamma ray.

3. What causes Partial Gamma-production to occur?

Partial Gamma-production can occur due to several reasons, such as the nucleus being in a high spin state, or if the excited state has a short lifetime and decays quickly before all the energy can be transferred to the gamma ray.

4. How is Partial Gamma-production detected?

Partial Gamma-production can be detected using gamma ray detectors, which are sensitive instruments that can measure the energy and direction of gamma rays. These detectors are often used in nuclear physics experiments to study the properties of nuclei.

5. What are the applications of Partial Gamma-production?

Partial Gamma-production has many applications in nuclear physics research, including studying the structure and properties of nuclei, understanding nuclear reactions, and developing new technologies such as nuclear medicine and energy production.